Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 224 Squadron Liberator FK242

I live just outside Tavistock on the edge of Dartmoor National Park.
    Thanks

Default 224 Squadron Liberator FK242

On the evening of 30th October 1942, Liberator IIIa FK224 of 224 Squadron was returning from an A/S patrol over the Bay of Biscay when it crashed at Fullamoor Farm on the edge of Dartmoor. Six of the seven crew died but there was one survivor, although he was seriously injured.
    I have full details of the deceased but know nothing about the sole survivor. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-...airman-4929897

Some info here but not the complete answer.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 10th February 2014 at 12:38.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Dennis,
    I think I started that enquiry. Someone thought the missing man came from Huddersfield and got a piece put in the local paper. Unfortunately we had no response. Still, one day . . .

Thanks

The correct name with initials for that airman woudl appear to be

Sgt D T Pass

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...earch=Crowther

This page of casualty lists gives V E Crowther as being RNZAF
    and an old forum thread gives names and serial numbers to avoid having to look that up.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/08748.php

On that page of the flight magazine there is listed as Wounded in Action a Sgt D T Pass

if you access the AIR78 files on the UK National Archives website you ought to be able to find this mans full name.

i can only suggest he might have been a Dennis T Pass born in Grimsby c.1922
    www.freebmd.org.uk
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for that, I think you're right. AIR78 has a Sergeant Dennis Trevor Pass 1117299. I haven't yet made the definitive link but I think he probably was the sole survivor from FK242. There was a Dennis Trevor Pass born Grimsby, September 1922, which would have made him 20 at the time of the crash. Again, that sounds about right.

Thanks

Hi..

Dennis Pass is my Grandad, He was the only survivor of that incident. He is still alive but sadly within the last week was taken into hospital in his home town of Grimsby (Cleethorpes) after a heart attack. He is still in a critical condition sadly.

I see these posts were from a year ago, I was just doing a google search about his crash whilst thinking about him this week and the 'Huddesfield Herald' news article came up and so did this thread. As you can see I have registered on here and would be hapy to chat to anyone about him or fill in any blanks anyone is looking to fill!

I have visited his crash site once, about 20 yrs ago but would like to return to 'refresh' the plaque that my Grandad and his wife placed there back in 1983.

I hope the original posters of this thread will be notified when I post this....

Thanks

Hi.

Just a quick follow up.

Sadly my Grandad (Sgt Dennis Trevor Pass) passed away on Sunday 8th Feb 2015 aged 92 after a heart attack 3 weeks prior.

I have his flight records etc and details of the FK242 crash site that started this thread so will be re visiting the site to 'update' the existing memorial.

Thanks

Very sorry to hear this Tom, may he rest in peace!

Don't take the lack of replies from people as lack of interest, there's just so many messages and threads.

Well done on keeping the memory alive.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Can I just reiterate what Dennis has posted. I'm sure we'd all like to pass on our condolences.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thankyou Dennis & Simon.

I'm happy to keep him memory alive. Since he passed my Grandma started talking about him and chatted about another incident he was involved in when his plane came down in the jungle when stationed in Burma I believe. It has given me the bug to research his RAF career.
    As i mentioned in my first post, he didnt talk about his time during the war and we never asked so my poor Grandma will be getting many questions over the next few months!