Thread: Walter George Edwards

Thanks

Default Walter George Edwards

Hello,

I was hoping for some assistance in finding out some information for a friend of mine in relation to a Walter George Edwards (DOB: 25/02/1921). I have looked high and low but have had little luck in my search. We know that Walter sent his medals back and we cannot find any of his RAF information.

We know very limited information, only that he was tail gunner in a Lancaster and we believe he had the rank of Colour Sergeant. Walter’s wife remembers him talking about two gentleman he flew with who were Canadians, one was called Llewellyn and the other was Bannister, she thinks Bannister was a navigator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Thanks

Tom,

I will make the assumption that you are talking about a Brit in your post.

My first port of call would be to download the relevant 'AIR 78' card from the lists available on the National Archives (NA) online web site. It is an alphabetical list and free to download. This should give you the service number of Mr Edwards. This number may assist you in finding more information, for example his approximate date and place of enlistment. Someone with an Ancestry account can help in identifying more information - a full name and DoB are essential, and you already have these. If you can prove a date of death via Ancestry (or Find My Past), you may be able to obtain Mr Edwards' death certicate and then his service record from the RAF (dependant on meeting their rules and paying their £30 fee). Once you have this information, you can identify a unit/Squadron, which in turn lead may lead you onto the Operational Record Books which are available for download via the NA site. The ORBs will tell you what Ops he flew, when and with whom.

As an aside, Colour Sergeant is an army/Royal Marines rank, not air force and as such, it is unlikely he flew with Bomber Command. It could have been 'Flight Sergeant'.

Best of luck

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Walter George Edwards is in the block of cards in AIR 78/51, there are two by that name, 1315306 & 1583113 both are war time service numbers enlisting at Oxford >Nov 1940 & Birmingham >Jun 1941 respectively.

1315306 Walter George Edwards did receive a commission on the 26th May 1944 becoming 176678, interesting in the same entry in the London Gazette is a 1588210 Roland Bannister who was issued the Officer SN 176679, he received his commission on the 25th May.

1583113 Walter George Edward was also commissioned becoming 198335 on the 26th April 1945, interestingly he is listed in the LG on the 4th December 1945 receiving a Distinguished Flying Medal (under his OR Service No.) at the rank of Flight Sergeant while with No.582 Sqn.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you for your responses to date. Having looked over the information we know that our Walter is not the Walter from 582Sqn, and he is in fact the first Walter mentioned (1315306).

From some of the information provided we managed to find this information on the 434 Squadron website - Crew 73:

73 - FS L.C. Bannister - FS J.F. Staples - P/O R. Borley - Sgt S. Bosworth - Sgt R.G. Jennings - Sgt W. Edwards - Sgt T. McMahon

We think this could be Walter but we are still looking and searching. Any further support would be most appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Thanks

Hello everyone,

A further update. I contacted Alan from the 434 website who advised that Crew 73 never flew together for a number of reasons and subsequently crew 73 were broken up, never completing a mission. One crew member Jennings went on a flight with crew 70, they failed to return - he was killed Feb 1944 and Bannister flew with another crew and was POW.
    This left 5 members, they are not showing up with any other crew from 434, so Walter and crew mates may have been reassigned to another squadron in RCAF? Walter does show up in 434 roster with his reg # 1315306 though.

I have hit a dead end, any advice?

Tom