Thread: Prisoner of War Stalag Luft photos 1941-45 wanted for viewing

Thanks

Default Prisoner of War Stalag Luft photos 1941-45 wanted for viewing

Hello all,

My grandfather was in the following POW camps and I would love to know if anyone has any photos of RAF POWs in the below camps:

Lamsdorf 8b (Sept 41 - April 42)
    Sagan Luft 3 (May 42 - June 43)
    Hyderkrug Luft 6 (July 43 - June 44)
    Thorn 357 (July 44 - August 44)
    Fallingbostel 357 (August 44 - April 45)

I have only one picture of my grandfather in Fallingbostel and would love to see more pictures....

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Dear Ian
    The chances of finding one individual among so many POWs is very small. Can I suggest a google images search using your father's name and various POW camps. There may be a lot of looking through group pictures.
    Happy hunting
    James

Thanks

Guys,

I have a load of photos from Stalag Luft III and VI which l will put on my website at some point, mostly of theatre productions, model exhibitions and sports days and trying to recognise your Father in some POW dressed up as a woman is quite a challenge as James suggests.

But we keep looking.

The earlier photos of POW in hut sequence are much more interesting and recognisable.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hi Nick

I'll be interested in seeing the pictures when they go up on your site as my great uncle, Bill Brew, was in the same camps as follows:

Dulag Luft, Frankfurt, 2-7 September 1941
    Stalag III E, Kirchhain, 8 September 1941-6 May 1942
    Stalag Luft III, Sagan, 7 May 1942-15 July 1943
    Stalag Luft VI, Hydeburg, 15 July 1943-20 August 1944
    Stalag 357, Thorn, 20 August 1944-15 September 1944
    Stalag 357, Fallingbostel, 15 September 1944-6 April 1945 (escaped from forced march)

Looks like they were in the same camps on a number of occasions. I have a single photo of a group of men, but don't know from which camp. I'll e-mail you.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

As Nick says, it will be easier to spot someone in one of the posed group photos. There was a batch of these taken in July 1943 at Sagan so there is a good chance there. What was your grandfather's name? Then we can keep a look out.
    Concerts and theatrical productions were also well covered in some camps as Nick pointed out. I recently saw one photo of swimming by the fire pool in the North Compound of Sagan, but it is probably best left to the ladies on the forum to try to identify the bare rear end of each POW !
    I'm looking forward to seeing your web photos too, Nick.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hello all,

My grandfather was:

Leslie E J Davenport
    POW number 9553

In addition to my first post he was also like Steve's relation he escaped from the forced March at Gresse when the RAF Typhoons struck in a friendly fire incident, he was on the run for a few days with other airman and then met up with Americans.

My grandfather also used to swim in the fire pool at Sagan in the hot summer of that year of 1942.

I would really like to see the pictures, I would like to know more about the group shots in camps where would I find these??

I am not soley interested in locating one person but in general interested in pictures from camps as a whole.

Should I spot my grandfather what a stroke of luck!!

Regards

Ian