Thread: Entitlement to Italy Star?

Thanks

Default Entitlement to Italy Star?

Hello,

I'm currently researching a couple of 83 squadron members whose medal groups contain the Italy Star in addition to the Aircrew Europe. The first is to Howard Morris DFC, who was with 57 sqn prior to 83 sqn and was on the shuttle raid to Friedrichshafen - Algeria - La Spezia in June 1943. I understand that the return leg from Maison Rouge, Algeria via La Spezia would immediately qualify for the Italy Star as an operation flown from a base in the Medterranean.

The second group is rather puzzling, Sgt Hedley Douglas Kenward Lewis, whose DFM group was sold by Spink as part of the Tavender collection a few years ago, also contains an Italy Star, but from his operations I can't understand why. He did fly on a mission to Friedrichshafen on 10th October 1943 but I don't think this was a shuttle raid (his previous op was to Frankfurt on 4th Oct, and subsequent op to Hannover on 8th Oct - no suggestion of a stopover in Algeria or an Italian target on the outward trip). The only Italian target he flew against was Mondane in September 1943 but this was a direct mission from the UK and, like ops to Milan or Turin, would not qualify for the Italy Star.

I would be very surprised if he isn't entitled to the Italy star given that the group was in Mr.Tavender's collection, but I am at a loss to explain it. The only other possibility I can think of is that he may have transferred to another squadron operating in the Mediterranean after his tour with 83 sqn (July 1943 to June 1944). I have the 83 sqn ORB "records of events" from July 43 to June 44, but not the "summary of events" which may mention postings (why the National Archives separates the "records" and "summary" rather than letting you see the whole ORB entry for each month eludes me). Can any members help?

many thanks,

Peter
    Last edited by Jutland; 14th February 2014 at 00:39.

Thanks

Peter, I don't believe that Morris' return flight from Maison Rouge would qualify for the Italy Star. He was not based in the Mediterranean area; if I understand you correctly, he flew a return leg from a base - a subtle difference. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Italy Star - awarded for operational service AT ANY Time between 11/6/1943 & 8/5/1945. Appears no minimum service requirement (The Medal Yearbook)

Thanks

Peter,
    I've got the 83sqdn ORB, so can help out, and i'll have a look later. As for why the N/A separate the Events from the Summaries, could it be, more money ?

Thanks

As indicated in my original post, any operation flown from a Mediterranean base qualified for the Italy Star - the entitlement for Morris is confirmed. Aircrew/Italy groups often indicate shuttle raids such as the Friedrichshafen - Maison rouge / Blida - La Spezia raids. Direct raids from UK to Milan / Turin or La Spezia didn't qualify. In absence of confirmation whether Lewis transferred to a Mediterranean based squadron after his tour of 42 ops (unlikely), looks like he isn't entitled to the Italy Star.