Thread: NEA abbreviation meaning

Thanks

Default NEA abbreviation meaning

Hello,

Among post-war RAF abbreviations, there is a 'NEA'. It is for 'Non Effective Aircraft'. What I'd like to know is its meaning. Is it an abbreviation similar to 'WFU' - Withdrawn from use?

In the same vein there is also 'NES' for 'Non Effective Stock', I can understand by 'SOC' - Struck off charge.

Am I right?

Thanks
    Phil

Thanks

Hi Phil

Many years ago one of the guys who worked in the archives at RAF Museum told me NEA is "non-effective account" and usually in my experience it is linked with 41 Group in Maintenance Command so..."NEA 41 Group" appears on the aircraft movement card. My understanding is that it is essentially a paper transaction in reconciling the Air Ministry records as to what is on charge and what is no longer on charge. It seems to be applied to aircraft that are obsolete or will imminently become obsolete or to aircraft that have done a lot of test flying or have been used for a lot of modification work and it is no longer economic to bring them back up to current operational standard...but the airframe still exists.

Steve

Thanks

Hi chaps,
    I have slightly different meaning as Non effective Airframe.
    I think have it from the list provided by the RAF Museum Hendon when getting copies of some Forms 78.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel
    The abbreviation NES (at least in the format of N/E Strength) was used for personnel, who were unfit for normal duty for one or more reasons such as personnel under training (probably only applicable in wartime), sickness, injury, AWOL, in detention (civil or military), missing on operations, or recoving from sickness or injuries. N/E Accounts was used to describe personnel who were physically missing (and possibly dead) so could not be paid by the normal pay system, so their funds accumulated in the N/E Accounts section until their fate was learned or a final decision reached on balance of probabilities. I presume allotments of their pay continued to be paid to nominated next of kin. Perhaps the NEA abbreviation used in relation to airframes had a similar purpose, as all equipmnet and stock had a nominal value which was of concern to the bean counters, although probably more in peace time than in war.
    David D