Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax Research

JJ'sGirl Guest

Default Halifax Research

Hi everyone.....

I have been on the hunt for the unit codes for Halifax R9497 and DG420 which collided with each other during flight training on the 19th of August 1943.

Does anyone know how or where I can obtain these unit codes?

The closest thing I have found is that a Halifax with close serial numbers - Halifax R9492 (also from 10 Squadron) had the unit codes of " ZA-G" and was part of the serial range of R9482- R9498, part of 17 Halifaxes MK 11, which was part of a batch of 100 HP59 MK 11.

Halifax R9497 which Im looking for is part of this group and was believed to have come from 10 squadron before going to 1658 HCU at Riccall. ( This is the point of origin of the Halifax when it crashed).........

"Halifax, R9497 of 1658 HCU, which was based at nearby Riccall. It was a real 4 Group veteran, almost 18 months old with operational service with 10 and 102 Squadrons before being pensioned off to 1658." (quote from Yorkshire Airfields in The Second World War)

In the past, Ian F from the Handley Page Halifax Forum has posted Halifax details for a Halifax from 10 Squadron which clearly came from a document as they had this information ( copy/paste below). Does anyone here know where this document comes from? Where does one get all these specific details of a Halifax?

SERIAL No:
    MANUFACTURER: CONTRACT No: REQUISITION No:
    ORDER QTY & TYPE:
    DELIVERY DETAILS:
    SQUADRON:
    UNIT CODES:
    BASE:
    DATE:
    TARGET:
    TIME UP:
    DETAILS:
    CREW:

Hoping someone here has the experience or knowledge to help me. Thank you for your time.

Best Wishes
    JJ'sGirl

Thanks

Hi
    Try http://www.hellzapoppin.demon.co.uk/halisqns.htm, it doesn't give the complete answer but it narrows it down. 1658 HCU apparently used codes TT- and ZB-. 1663 used OO- and SV-. In Chorley BCL Vol 8 DG 420 is coded -H, but it doesn't say which Sqn code it was using. R9497 has no code at all. Chorley gives a list of all those who lost their lives plus 2 Civilians who were badly burned by fuel from the a/c.
    Regards
    Dick

JJ'sGirl Guest

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your response.

Here's a simple question......

1658 used codes TT or ZB, but 'IF' Halifax R9497 originally came from 10 Squadron, would its original 10 Squadron code ( ZA ) be painted over with 1658 codes?

You mentioned that R9497 had 'no codes'. Does anyone know why?

Thanks again!

JJ's Girl

Thanks

Hi
    Any Sqn/Unit Code would last only as long as the a/c remained on the Sqn. When it left it would remain painted on until the next Unit put it's own code on the a/c and the former unit would re-allocate it to the next a/c that they received as a replacement.. The "old" code would be removed and the new put in it's place on both units. The "no code" for R9497 wasn't meant to imply that it didn't have one, but simply that the records that Chorley used when he wrote his book didn't show it, so he left it blank.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 27th April 2008 at 19:14.

Thanks

I have the following information which I got during research into Halifax R9496, a 35 Sqdn machine which my grandfather flew. He was killed while flying R9496 in March 1942.

Manufacturer: Handley Page Halifax Ltd.
    Requisition No:- 102/E11/37
    Contract No:- 692649/37
    Total Qty/Type: 116 B Mk II's
    Delivered: Batch R9482 to R9498 delivered between 24/02/42 & 18/03/42

I will try and check the 35 Sqdn & 10 Sqdn ORB's I have for the period to see if there is any mention of either of them taking delivery of R9497.

Regards
    Linzee

JJ'sGirl Guest

Thank you Linzee and Dick for your help.

Is there anyone here that has records for 10 Squadron?
    I would like to know the date 10 Squadron moved from Leeming to Melbourne please.

Thank you.

Best Wishes
    JJ's Girl

Thanks

Hi
    I don't have 10 Sqn records but from RAF Squadrons , C G Jefford, the date is given as 19/Aug/1942.
    Regards
    Dick

JJ'sGirl Guest

Hello Dick

Thank you for your quick reply.

19/Aug/42 what a coincidence. The crash of this Halifax R9497 was on 19/Aug/43.

Anyway......hopefully you can help me with my next question.

According to Linzee's dates " Batch R9482 to R9498 delivered between 24/02/42 & 18/03/42".

R9497 was delivered brand new to 10 Squadron, and since 10 Squadron moved to Melbourne on 19/ Aug/ 42, ( after these dates ), would be accurate to presume that Halifax R9497 was delivered to 10 Squadron in Leeming?

Thanks again
    JJ's Girl

Thanks

Hi
    You are probably right but Linzee should be better placed to confirm it. The reason for hedging my bets is that 10 Squadron, whilst at Leeming, had a detachment at Lossiemouth in N Scotland. They went there in about Dec 41 and in Mar and Apr 42 took part in 2 attempts to sink the German Battleship "Tirpitz" that was hidden in the fjords near Trondheim,Linzee'e interest is with another Sqn ,35, which was also involved. Both Sqns lost a/c and it is possible that as the Tirpitz was such an important target that a replacement was sent direct to Lossiemouth although it would have been more normal to send it to Leeming and for an established a/c and crew to go to Scotland. Linzee's website is http://www.archieraf.co.uk/archie/index.html
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

I had a look at the 10 Sqdn ORB's that I have. They don't appear to note the arrival of new aircraft. However, I can see that R9497 shows for the first time flying on an op on 26th April 1942 and would have been code ZA-V.

In case it helps, R9496 (which was at 35 Squadron was delivered to them on 15th March 1942).

Regards
    Linzee