Thread: Crash of Miles Master Mk II EM408, 11/3/45.

Thanks

Default Crash of Miles Master Mk II EM408, 11/3/45.

Hello,

The above aircraft of No. 3 Glider Training School crashed from a spin on 11 March, 1945. Both occupants, F/Sgt Arthur Leach RAFVR, and Sgt James Egan, Glider Pilot Regiment, lost their lives.

Can anyone help with the location of the crash, and the departure airfield? At the time 3 GTS was operating from RAF Exeter with a detachment at RAF Culmhead.

Thanks in advance.

Ray.

Thanks

The Form 1180 says the location of the crash was 'Devon Map Ref 445182'. I assume that to be a six figure reference to a 1:63360 scale map ie 1 inch to the mile rather than the 1:50000 scale now used. I don't recall noting a departure airfield.

The card also says that the aircraft stalled off a steep turn at 2500 feet and entered a spin. The spin was stopped but there was insufficient height to pull out and the aircraft struck the ground and caught fire.

As an aside - if God had meant us to go metric, there would only have been ten apostles!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Ray/Colin,

The OS Grid Ref is the same whether using Imperial or Metric units (have a look at http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm - you can toggle between the ‘modern’ OS and earlier versions). OS GR SS 445 182 equates (give or take a gnat’s whotsit) to 50.942N 4.215W. And if that is, indeed, near enough the impact point then it is 220 yds on a bearing of 215(T) from the Cemetery marked on the map just off the road from Frithelstock Stone to Smythacott. Just over 500 ft AMSL.

And as an aside, I didn’t think the Anglo-Saxons got that far southwest (Frithel is an A-S name!).

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    As an aside - if God had meant us to go metric, there would only have been ten apostles!
    Colin Cummings
    Quite possibly the best aside I have read on this fine forum yet!! I shall use it myself from this day forward Colin, thank you!!

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Abso-bl00dy-right
    Resmoroh
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Gents,
    the references used by the military in WW2 are from the Cassini grid system. (There is a site on the Internet which allows translations to modern grids and an explanation of how it all works http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translator.php)

The reference that you quote for the Master, 445182, should correctly have a two letter prefix, in this case VT, which locates the 100km square to which the digits of the numerical part apply.

Echodelta converts your value to the modern OS value of 192/103966 which puts it at Crannaford, Jack in the Green, Exeter, which is a little to the north of Exeter airfield. The deaths are registered at Devon Central, which includes the villages of Aylesbeare and Rockbeare ; both are near to the crash site.

HTH

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 20th February 2014 at 19:33. Reason: More detail

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies.

DaveW, I think you have nailed it. Crannaford fits nicely.

Colin, God did give us ten Commandments though.

Thanks again,
    Ray.