Story 1. A Lancaster pilot told the following story in 1970 (Even though the pilot had a few drinks, the veteran aircrew that were present did not show any signs that they doubted him): On an operational sortie from a base in England to a target in Germany one of the aircrew had grandparents who lived in the target area. On learning of their target, the crew-member had become overwrought with the possibility of their bombs killing his grandparents. So, the pilot hung back near the end of the bomber-stream. When he could see the target, he drifted out of formation to a position downwind from the target. He released the bomb-load off-target then he tilted the Lancaster a few degrees so the camera would take photos from an appropriate angle that included the target area. He said that it was at night, the target was obscured by smoke, and he knew that minimal information would be gathered from the photographs. The pilot said, “There were so many bombers that no one could tell which bombs were from which plane. Our bombs probably landed in a farmer’s field.”

Story 2. A Lancaster pilot told the following story in 1965 (Details are very sketchy; the story may have been invented by authorities for the purpose of discouraging any faint-hearted aircrew from getting ideas):
The crew of a Lancaster found a way to prevent an on-board camera from taking pictures after the bombs were released (it is uncertain how, or when, this was accomplished). The crew would take-off on an operational sortie as usual. On route to the target, the aircrew would drop the bomb-load in an inactive out-of-the-way area. With the on-board camera non-functional, no photographs were taken. After the bombs were gone they would then proceed to the target. The camera would be made operational before reaching the target area (it is uncertain how this was accomplished). The pilot would do a relatively low-risk fly-by of the target area while the camera took photographs (it is uncertain how this was accomplished). The crew would return to base having completed their op with minimal risk. However, during one op the aircrew thought they had rendered the camera non-operational but it remained functional. The crew then proceeded to drop the bomb-load in the North Sea. To the crew's dismay, when the bombs were gone the camera went off. On return to base the photos showed the bombs falling into the ocean. The aircrew were arrested and sent to a military jail. As of June 1945 the aircrew were still in jail.

Story 3. A ground-crew member of a Coastal Command squadron told this story proudly and often, or variations of it, to family members and various others including veterans who say they have no reason to doubt until evidence can be produced to suggest otherwise:
Late in WW2 the Allies had gained the upper hand in the North Atlantic. The U-boat threat was greatly diminished. Operations where Coastal Command was engaged in active combat became less and less frequent. Long reconnaissance flights became more frequent. Ground-crew in one particular Coastal Command squadron became unabashed in attempts to beg, bribe, or b.s. their way (unauthorised and secretly) aboard any aircraft that was going up on these lower-risk reconnaissance operations. On occasion, a lucky ground-crew member would find a sympathetic aircrew. According to the ground-crew member who told this story, he went up as stowaway on more than one Coastal Command operation. During one of his clandestine ops they attacked a U-boat. Apparently, he was adamant that, although rare, members of Coastal Command ground-crew had gone, unauthorised, on active bombing sorties into Germany.