Thread: 159540 F/O David Money RAFVR

Thanks

Default 159540 F/O David Money RAFVR

Hi, does any forum member know where I can locate which squadron this guy served with, i believe he was an Air Gunner, formerly 1076881, commisioned and is listed in the general duties branch. Any help or guidance appreicated, thanks in advance, Rick

Thanks

Hi, just refreshing this enquiry as I haven't been able to find much info on him,
    cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

What is the background to you knowing his service numbers and thinking he is an air gunner.

A David Money was born in 1925 in Wiltshire in 1925. No middle initial. How does the serial number bkick add up to a 1925 born man.

Thanks

Hi,
    I have his ID discs, some medals and an AG brevet, if I recall right he is listed in the RAF lists as a F/O GD branch under Air Gunners. His first number 1076881 indicates he enlisted at Padgate in Sep 1939, so probably not the Wiltshire man.

Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Which medals are they, theatre level ones I imagine

Thanks

Hi,
    39/45 star, Air crew Europe star, Defence and war medals..
    Rick

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Terry,
    I didn't know that he reached F/Lt or that he retired in 1954...
    cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Rick, I don't think he retired in 54. I think they were cleaning up the lists and those with Emergency Commissions that hadn't been dealt with before were "retired". Regards, Terry

Thanks

There is a subtle difference between being “de-mobilised” and/or “Reliquishing” one’s Commission and/or “Retiring”. A lot of ‘our’ Met Officers (particularly those either overseas, or in a probable War Zone) were Commissioned, and Mobilised, fairly early on in WW2. A large number were Commissioned on 1 Apr 43.

Most were “de-Mobilised” (i.e. no longer required to wear uniform fairly soon after the end of WW2.) As far as I am aware the actual date when this de-Uniforming took place is not recorded certainly not in the LG, but possibly in their Service Records? Most of them just pitched up – in civvies – the next morning at the same post they had been in, in uniform, the day before!

In the mid-1950’s the RAF did some major reorganisations. It stopped changing Service Numbers on Commissioning from the Ranks – you just had ONE number whatever/wherever you were. It also technically/formally ‘cleared out’ a lot of the old war time Commissions (of various sorts!). You should be aware that – AFAIK – if you hold the Sovereign’s Commission you are subject to The Air Force Act at all times (whether in uniform, or not!). I was!
    HTH
    PeterDavies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!