Thread: Far East Burials

Thanks

Default Far East Burials

As part of my research into the deaths and burials of 100 Squadron men, particularly whilst being held as Japanese PoWs, I've been tipped off about this book, which allegedly contains a list of burials: -

http://www.genealogybookshop.co.uk/n...1743-1975.html

I'm dubious that it does contain such a list, and may only be a more general guide. Does anyone have a copy and can tell me what the content is like? Is it simply a list of burials, or does it contain any further details, such as cause of death, etc?

Any pointers / tips, gratefully received as always.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Good Morning Greg,

I cannot comment on the book you mention. However, can I point you towards "Unsung Heroes of the Royal Air Force" by Les and Pam Stubbs. ISBN 1-903172-21-7 first published in 2002 by Barny Books, Hough on the Hill, Grantham.

The lists RAF POWs in general: surname, first names, personal number, unit, where held and place of burial or commemoration if died in captivity.

Incidentally, are you aware that James Douglas Hudson DFC who flew a tour of ops with 100, has died?

The book you mention, if it contains lists by burial, approaches the problem from a different angle - why not take up the offer to ask a question as per the advert?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply buddy. I've got Les and Pam Stubbs' book - what a volume that is!! A fantastic piece of work, and I've recently written to Pam asking if she can help me out with some further gen on some of my 100 Squadron boys.

I did email the seller via the link, but just wondered if anyone here had the book already as I know there's a few of us looking at Far East deaths in WW2. At 13 it's worth a punt though, so I've ordered a copy and should have it within a few days - I'll post any pertinent comments about it here when it arrives.

Yes, I did hear about James Hudson, very sad news indeed. Have you read his book "There And Back Again - A Navigator's Story"? I can thoroughly recommend it if you haven't. Although he wasn't a member of the 100 Squadron Association, we did make mention of his passing in our last Association newsletter last year.

Thanks again Colin, all the best as always,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945