Thread: Bombing raid on Nantes (France) 12th January, 1943

Thanks

Default Bombing raid on Nantes (France) 12th January, 1943

Hello All,

Does anybody have any information pertaining to the above raid, specifically the squadrons and/or O.T.U.s involved?

I'm researching my Grandfather's RAF career and this raid is listed in his log book as his first operational raid before joining 420 Squadron (R.C.A.F.) at the end of January, 1943.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hello

From "The Bomber Command War Diaries" by Martin Middlebrook & Chris Everitt, there's a raid against Essen during the night 11/12, so I don't think it matches.

There'a another raid against Essen during the night 12/13, involving 4 Pathfinder Mosquitos et 55 Lancasters and No. 1 and 5 Groups. 1 Lancaster lost. Minor operations : 32 aircraft minelaying off Biscay ports , 5 O.T.U. sorties. No losses.

So your grand-father's first op, while still in O.T.U., in one of these 5. Usually the O.T.U. ops were leaflets dropping, missions known as "nickel" or "nickelling". If you have the O.T.U. number (you should, as you have the log-book), you should be able to check the relevant Operations Record Book, at The National Archives, in Kew, London.

HTH

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 27th February 2014 at 06:21. Reason: typo

Thanks

Hello Josh,

Thanks for the informative reply.

One of my relatives has the log book and therefore may not be reading off all of the information correctly. Needless to say, I need to get a copy.

Does the book give details about the 5 O.T.U. sorties flown on the night of the 12th?

Best regards,

Chris

Thanks

Chris,
    I can send you a copy of the Raid Report for this night if wanted.

Thanks

Hello Chris

No, the book doesn't give more than I quoted.

The night raid reports suggested by Alan should provide answers. Either the 5 "rookie" crews were provided by the same O.T.U., or they might have belonged to different O.T.U.s

Your grand-father's O.T.U.'s Operations Record Book would fill in some details, if they were recorded in full at the time. Not always the case...

Good luck

Joss

Thanks

Hi Alan,

Yes please do send the report, that would be great.

Regards,

Chris