Thread: 202 Squadron accident at Aldergrove - 1948

Thanks

Default 202 Squadron accident at Aldergrove - 1948

I've just been sent some images of a very bent 202 Sqn Halifax after it force-landed on three engines at Aldergrove during 1948. The only visible identifying mark is Y3-T.

Not very much to go on, but could anyone provide a date and some details, please? If it was returning from a routine Bismuth sortie I might be able to find some details about the flight in the Met Office archives.

Brian

Thanks

Hello,

Possibly, No.202 Sqn Halifax Met.VI RG830. Overshot Aldergrove after three-engine approach 22/10/1948.

The Halifax File/Roberts. p.122.

John Rawlings, in Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons (p.131), has 202 Sqn Halifax Met.6 RG830, coded: Y3-C.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 2nd March 2014 at 23:20.

Thanks

Thank you, Col, that sounds a promising start. So far as the Rawlings reference is concerned there might be a typo or error, as the aircraft in the photo is clearly identified as Y3-T.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Glad you liked the photos. I am away from home now for the next week. So wont be able to have a closer look at the Nose art that might be on the front. Maybe someone on here could blow the photo up?

Shaun

Thanks

Thought you would pick this up, Shaun; at least you have a probable date now and it seems as though there were no major casualties. I tried very hard to get a close-up of the nose-art, but the quality of the print is not really good enough. That said I'm reasonably sure it is not the squadron crest (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/202squadron.cfm).

Brian

Thanks

hi Brian,

I will ask my nan as she was an R/T operator in the ATC Tower During her time at Aldergrove.. She may remember something...

Thanks

After 13 minutes airborne on a long range Met sortie, the starboard outer was feathered because of excessive vibration and the aircraft RTB. The approach was too fast and the aircraft bounced on touch down. The throttles were opened for an overshoot on three, the swing which developed, went uncorrected and the aircraft crashed.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Ah - thank you, Colin, that saves me a bit of digging. If I remember correctly Peter Rackliff (Even the birds were walking) said that if there was going to be a problem it was always with the starboard outer.

Given there was a full load of fuel I guess the crew was lucky to walk away from this one.

Brian

Thanks

Excellent thanks for that.