Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 OTU Hampden Codes

Thanks

Default 5 OTU Hampden Codes

My father flew the following Hampden's while at OTU 5c Turnberry. Does anyone have the aircraft codes (WA-?) or can you tell me where to find them. He did not specify in his logbook.

P1284
    P2075
    AD764
    AD964

TIA
    Rodger
    Last edited by rmventuri; 3rd March 2014 at 22:51. Reason: spelling
    In remembrance of the crew of Halifax HR732
    51 Squadron Snaith - All LWT Leipzig 4 December 1943

Thanks

Combat Codes states that the use of WA by 5 OCU is not confirmed. It is therefore possible that no codes were carried and the OCU relied upon the serial alone or perhaps a unit number.

Thanks

Hi

The Air Britain Hampden File also says that 5 OTU did not use code letters

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen. Explains why I had found it difficult to research. The book "Hampden Squadrons of WWII" by Mark Postlethwaite lists OTU 5(c) Turnberry as using code WA in 1942 but now realize this is unconfirmed.

Cheers
    Rodger
    Last edited by rmventuri; 3rd March 2014 at 22:59.

Thanks

Rodger

Are you just interested in the recognition letters for these Hampdens? More background on these particular aircraft I have at my disposal if you want their previous existence before RAF Turnberry.

John

Thanks

John,

Yes please whatever information you have is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rodger

Thanks

Rodger

P1284 was with 16 OTU prior to its Torpedo conversion joining 5 OTU. It was lost on the 28 October 42 during a training flight. The pilot Sgt D Montgomerie force landed while lost and out of fuel over the Irish Republic. There were no casualties, he and his crew are recorded as being interned.

P2075 had previously been flown by 14 OTU then with 455 Squadron before its conversion. After 5 OTU it passed to 1 TTU (Torpedo Training Unit), surviving its flying life and was SOC (Struck of Charge) 16 December 43.

AD764 was with 50 Squadron before its conversion and joining 5 OTU. It too survived to be SOC also on the 16 December 43.

AD964 Began its life with 83 Squadron then 49 Squadron both based at Scampton. It transferred to 144 Squadron after 144 Squadron moved from Bomber Command to Coastal Command, I have no record of it flying bombing operations with 144 Squadron while at North Luffenham, from July 41 to April 42 the last nine months the squadron was with Bomber Command. The conversion is recorded as following its period with 144 Squadron, prior to joining 5 OTU. It too was a surviver, SOC 4 March 44.

It would have been nice to tell you my father had flown one of these four Hampdens, but he did not. He trained on Hampdens at 16 OTU and flew Hampdens with 144 Squadron while with Bomber Command. He also went on to Scampton. The closest number I have found is AD965 which he flew to Brest on the 13 September 41, the target being the German Cruisers, Bomber Command paid them a lot of attention at this time.

Hope this gives you more leads.

John

Thanks

Thank you John for the great information

Thanks

Regarding Hampden P1284 the correct date of the force landing was 29 October 1942. The Irish Military lists Sgt Montgomery; I would appreciate any details to clarify the spelling of his name. Finally the crew were not interned in this instance.
    Regards
    Tony K

Thanks

Tony

My original source was from The Hampden File by Harry Moyle, I am aware of the variations recorded in Foreign Aircraft in Ireland 39-45.

Rodger may be able to clarify the name if by chance it is recorded in his fathers log book.

John