Thread: P/O John Thomson Foy DFC, 172932, 120 Squadron

Thanks

Default P/O John Thomson Foy DFC, 172932, 120 Squadron

HI,
    From another forum I found the citation for P/O Foy's DFC as follows

"This officer is serving his third tour of operations against the enemy. Prior to March 1941 he took part in numerous sorties against enemy shipping and coastal objectives. he subsequently completed many anti-submarine and photographic reconnaissance sorties from West Africa. Since joining his present squadron P/O. Foy has participated in five attacks on enemy submarines, one of which was sunk. early in 1944 he was wireless operator of an aircraft which attacked two enemy submarines in the vicinity of an important convoy. During the course of the action, intense and accurate anti-aircraft fire was experienced and the aircraft suffered considerable damage. One of the engines was, however, severely damaged. During a long and dangerous return flight, P/O. Foy displayed the utmost coolness and gave invaluable aid to his Captain.

List 841 6 July 1944."

Could anyone narrow down the dates of his attacks on U-Boats? and his normal crew? he had previously served with 200 Squadron in Gambia - any other interesting info on him or his crew would be most welcome.

Regards

Alistair

Thanks

Hi Alistair,

I'm not sure, but P/O Foy may have served with 206 Squadron during the summer of 1940. At least, a LAC and later Sgt Foy was wireless operator on Hudsons then.

Perhaps anyone else can acknowledge this?

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hello,

W/O J T Foy was a member of the crew of No.120 Sqn Liberator 'E' piloted by F/L H F Kerrigan RCAF, which shared in the destruction (with another 120 Sqn aircraft, and a No.59 Sqn Lib)of U-470, on 16 October 1943:

F/L H F Kerrigan RCAF - Pilot
    Sgt M Weiner - 2nd Pilot
    F/L W N Kenyon - Nav.
    F/O E Stanley - 2nd Nav.
    Sgt T W Chapman - WOM
    W/O J T Foy - WOP/AG
    Sgt W Hunt - WOP/AG
    Sgt T Levinsky - WOP/AG
    Sgt J J Grassman - WOP/AG.

See: Search, Find and Kill/Franks pp.27-9

Foy was also involved in an encounter with U-737 on 6 March, 1944. No.120 Sqn Liberator V BZ764 'B', was damaged in the attack and belly-landed at Skitten on two engines:

F/L H F Kerrigan RCAF - Pilot*
    F/O A M McLennan - 2nd Pilot
    F/O P R Rackham RCAF - 1st Nav.*
    F/O W J Hartrick - 2nd Nav.
    Sgt P Cole - Engineer
    W/O J T Foy - WOP/AG
    F/S T Levinsky - WOP/AG
    F/S J J Grassam - WOP/AG
    F/S T W Chapman - WOM

See: U-Boat Versus Aircraft/Franks & Zimmerman pp.111-2

* Kerrigan RCAF awarded a DSO, Rackham RCAF the DFC. Check out both, here: http://airforce.ca/honours-awards/se...ards-database/

Check the quoted refs for the full story.

Col
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th March 2014 at 02:12.

Thanks

Thanks Both,

Hans, P/O Foy was with 200 Squadron in October 1941 - looking on Wiki it says 200 Squadron was formed from a section of 206 Squadron, so it looks like it may be him, I'll have to dig more.

Col, that's great stuff, I managed a bit of a look online during my lunch break (although lost of blocked sites at work don't help) - I'll have to have a look for the books you mention - knowing his pilot also helps.

I also need to check the local newspaper archives as he was local and hopefully gets a mention

Thanks again

Alistair