Thread: 514 Squadron collision 22 April 1944

Thanks

Default 514 Squadron collision 22 April 1944

The BCL entry indicates that Lancasters DS669 and DS828 of 514 squadron 'MAY HAVE' collided over the target on the 22/4/44. Clearly at some time or another some evidence existed to come to a possible conclusion of the collision and I wonder if the fact that the Pilot and Wireless Operators bodies in DS828 were never traced provides anything further to corroborate the supposition.I am assuming both men would have been in the forward positions and in close proximity to each other.

Lancaster DS669 JI-C Target Dusseldorf crashed in target area at Ecke Rethel / Schubertstrasse. Crew buried at Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, with the exception of Sgt Nash, who is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

F/S JD Harrison (Pilot) KIA
    F/S E Wilde (Navigator) KIA
    F/S PN Kirkpatrick RCAF (Bomb Aimer) KIA
    Sgt FD Nash (WOP/Air) KIA
    Sgt AG Buttling (Rear Gunner) KIA
    Sgt W Wilson (MU Gunner) KIA
    Sgt RWD Norris (Flight Engineer) KIA

Lancaster DS828 JI-D Target Dusseldorf possibly collided with DS669, crashing in the target area. Crew are buried at Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, except F/S Hudson and W/O Rolph, who are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

F/S JG Hudson RNZAF (Pilot) KIA
    F/S PM Constable (Navigator) KIA
    Sgt G Goddard (Bomb Aimer) KIA
    W/O HT Rolph (WOP/Air) KIA
    F/S CA Campbell RCAF (MU Gunner) KIA
    F/S WL Granbois RCAF (Rear Gunner) KIA
    Sgt GR Jones (Flight Engineer) KIA

Thanks

Hello Colin

I hope you're fine.

In Errol Martyn's "For your tomorrow" volume 2, the entry about John Gordon HUDSON, RNZAF is "and believed hit by Flak or collided over Düsseldorf with another of the Squadron"s Lancasters (DS669), both bombers exploded in the air, their wreckage falling at Ecke Rethel and Schubertstrasse." Errol checked the NZ Defense Force files, so he may add a little about it.

Have you accessed the files of the two RCAF airmen in the Canadian Archives in Ottawa ? There should be the MRES investigation in them, as in HUDSON's file, so it could be an interesting option for first hand information.

Joss

Thanks

There is nothing that survives on Hudson's service record to indicate cause of loss.

On the Bomber Card Loss Card for DS828 is noted 'Captured German doc KE 8360. Place of loss - Ecke Rethel + Schubert St Dusseldorf. Cause of loss - possibly flak. Airframe % destroyed - 100%. How aircraft landed - exploded in air.'

Errol

Thanks

Joss and Errol.
    Thank you for your replies, the suggestion for the RCAF records is an excellent one and worth trying. I have an Air Ministry reference in 1944 where Red Cross information was supplied advising that the German authorities buried 11 airmen in the North Military Cemetery at Dusseldorf. This confirms that from the two crews three men were unaccounted for and are thus remembered at Runnymede, in all probability other than being in very close proximity to each other the fate regarding a collision will remain unknown. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks

Gentlemen

I am searching for a photograph of the F/S JD Harrison crew and DS669. I have tried the RAF Museum Hendon, Google, and the 514 Sqn Association (who have been very supportive) on Facebook, but to no avail. Grateful for any guidance or suggestions for research you may be able to provide.

Matt

Thanks

Hello Colin,

From the Bomber Command Repot on Night Operation,
    Hello Colin

Target Dusseldorf

Casualties :
    One of the collisions occured as 2 aircraft emerged from the cloud over Holland and
    another involved a Halifax and a Lancaster over Dusseldorf.

Info for Matt:

Following a suggestion of one of a request it was suggest to see the 514 Sqn Association

I send an email but unfortunately no answer.
    But i have to say that I am not a facebook fan.
    I do think that they coul reply by sending an email.

Best regards

Rene

Thanks

Hi Colin,
    The report issued by 20 MRES regarding Sgt.Nash, F/S.Hudson and W/O Rolph mentions as circumstances of the crash:

Both these aircraft either exploded or broke up in the air over Dusseldorf Town Centre within a few minutes of each other. Parts of both aircraft fell scattered over the same area and bodies of the crews also fell reasonably close together.

No indication of a collision is mentioned.

Best regards
    Luc