Thread: loss 61 Sqn Lancaster LL777 6/7.12.44

Thanks

Default loss 61 Sqn Lancaster LL777 6/7.12.44

Dear all,

I'm looking for information about the loss of 61 Squadron Lancaster LL777 of the 6/7 December 1944 Giessen raid, especially on the location and time when it was attacked by a German night fighter (one crew member was killed in a night fighter attack and buried in Brussels).

Also, it would be interesting to know where & when the following two Lancasters of the 6/7 Dec. 44 Giessen raid crashed:

-57 Sqn NG199
    -227 Sqn NG296

Cheers & thanks!

Theo

Thanks

Theo,

Sqn Ldr W A S Neil, the captain of NG199, was born in Australia but came to New Zealand when only one year old. He worked his passage to Britain in 1938 and in 1940 enlisted in the RAFVR.

A New Zealand Defence Force file on him contains an Air Ministry letter (dated 23 Sep 48) which states that MRES investigations revealed that his aircraft had 'crashed about one mile from the village of Mornshausen, Germany' (about 25km NNW of the target area). The crew's remains were first buried in the village cemetery by the local inhabitants.

Errol

PS: No crash time given.
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 29th April 2008 at 09:21. Reason: Addition of PS

Thanks

Hi Theo
    I don't know if this helps but 2 of the crew of NG296 were Australian and for one of them Bendall, the Australian archive mentions a place called Altenkirchen, Germany. It is in the heading to one of his file references but the file has not been digitised and it is not possible to be sure what the significance of the place might be. In the same set of headings is the word Repatriation although Chorley reports him as KIA and not POW
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Cheers & thanks chaps,

Meanwhile, I've received some additional info from one of my German contacts who told me that NG199 crashed at around 20.30 hrs, the location of the crash is only a small distance away from the crash location of PD264, which came down near Erdhausen.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Both Erdhausen and Mornshausen come within Postleitzahl (Postal code) 35075 GLADENBACH (Hessen). Mornshausen SSE, Erdhausen SSW.

Henk.

Thanks

Dick/Theo,
    I've BENDALL not on NG296 however on PB646; this aircraft crashed 800 metres N of Altenkirchen.
    NG296 crashed twixt Oberlemp and Bechlingen. JACKSON initially was buried at Bechlingen and MARTINEZ (who was murdered) first buried at Oberlemp.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Theo
    My apologies. Henk is absolutely correct I skipped a Serial in Chorley and took the details from the wrong 227 Sqn a/c. Yet another Senior Moment!!!
    Sorry
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dear friends,

Thanks a lot for all your info -I now have the crash locations of all the losses sustained during the 6/7 December 1944 Giessen raid, but matching these to the nine German night fighter claims against the Giessen force that I've documented is another matter altogether ..

Cheers, Theo