Thread: 580803 Sgt. Edwin Thomas Osborne, Mention in Despatches, 1 January 1941.

Thanks

Default 580803 Sgt. Edwin Thomas Osborne, Mention in Despatches, 1 January 1941.

Hallo,

Could anyone with access to the citation for his MiD award please check the unit mentioned ? Also is there a reference to his duty as an Observer ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Martin,

You will be extremely lucky to obtain a citation for a WW2 MiD. Most have been destroyed. Generally, the only citations available are downgraded meritorious awards (of which this is invariably one being a New Years Honours award) and the odd gallantry award contained in a multiple gallantry incident.

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hallo Jonny,

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about the Michael Maton book, 'HONOUR THOSE MENTIONED; THE AIR FORCES'. As far as I know the unit is given in this publication, but I stand to be corrected.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

I've just looked at Maton. MIDs are not included although KCBs and KCVSA are.

No sign of Osborne - well not this one anyway.

Two other possibilities but neither likely to give you the citation. First, the RAF Museum has the Air Ministry Bulletins on microfilm and the name might be there. Second, the RAF Museum has a manuscript cardex which lists individuals and then details of their awards. Again, unlikely to tell you anything more than the LG and AMB details/dates.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin

Right author, wrong book!

Air Force: RAF
    Service Number: 580803
    Surname: OSBORNE
    Initial/Given Names: E T
    Theatre of Operations: New Year's Honours List (NYHL)
    LG. Date: 1.1.1941
    LG. Page: 39

See:
    Honour Those Mentioned - Air Forces:Mentions in Despatches to the RAF and Dominion Air Forces during the Second World War.
    Maton,Michael.
    Honiton:Token Publishing Ltd.,2010
    p.314

Martin,

Maton doesn't mention units in the above reference. l suspect you can't find the LG entry for Osborne, if so:

ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    Air Ministry - 1st January, 1941.
    His Majesty has been graciously pleased to give orders for the publication of the names of the following personnel who have been mentioned in despatches by Air Officers Commanding-in-Chief:-

Sergeants.

580803 E.T. OSBORNE

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...supplements/39 (see also pp.33 & 38).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th March 2014 at 07:42.

Thanks

Hello Col,

Does "honour those mentioned" give a AIR 2 file reference ? I have a Blenheim pilot (Bennett, who had been KIA on 30th June 1940), who similarly received an MiD in the same NYHL, and I'm eager to find more about him. By checking this file at Kew, I hope to be able to find the AFC recommendation for S/L Herbert Pilling, also published in the same LG issue. Pilling was killed in the same raid, and my previous trials to find the AFC détails have not succeeded. He flew various transport machines with No. 24 Squadron and the AFM was connected to these flights, not for instruction duties.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 8th March 2014 at 15:53. Reason: typo amended as request by Col.

Thanks

Hi Joss,

Maton's material comes directly from the London Gazette, hence, no AIR 2 references; as you can see:

Air Force: RAF
    Service number:41656
    Surname: Bennett
    Initial/Given Names: R H M
    Formation: Since missing
    Theatre of Operations: New Year's Honours List
    LG. Date: 1.1.1941
    LG. Page: 36

Honour Those Mentioned/Maton. p.36.

Pilling was awarded an AFC, not an AFM. (Amend, and l will delete this)

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th March 2014 at 12:30.

Thanks

Colin and Col,

Many thanks for checking for me. Plan B, try the RAF Museum for his logbook which they apparently have.

Regards,

Martin.