Thread: Blenheim bomber attack danish fishing boat-Why

Thanks

Default Blenheim bomber attack danish fishing boat-Why

On 6 July 1941 Blenheim Z7272 of 226 Squadron, RAF Wattisham crashed into the sea off the Dutch coast after colliding with the mast of Dutch fishing boatl ‘Alice’ whilst bombing the vessel. Can someone please explain why a British bomber would attack a danish fishing boat?

Thanks

Danish or Dutch?

Several Danish fishermen were attack from the air by both Luftwaffe and RAF to my knowledge. One reason could be that the boat was mistaken for a naval vessel, the other that they were thought to be spies.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Just to add to Mikkel's comments. Was it manned by Danish/Dutch crew, as it could have been a "squealer" radio equipped and crewed by German personnel, for reporting imminent air attacks heading for the coast.

Thanks

Thanks Mikkel

Thanks

AlanW
    The simple answer is 'I don't know'

Thanks

Home from work, I have had a chance to look into this. It was covered in this thread
    http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/15920.php

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Dear Alan, if I may,
    I posted a query earlier today, asking what a "squealer" sortie was. Thanks for your explanation that I've just chanced upon.
    The term appeared in 105 Sqn's ORBs of 1941, and it's interesting to note that attacks were made on trawlers, including one of 50 tons.

Thanks

Mikkel
    Sorry for the tardy reply; I have been busy else where and only now picking up your post #6 .

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
    Roy

Thanks

Hi
    Danish fishing boats were attacked quite often by British aircrafts at the beginning of the war. It stoppet later on. An order must have been issued.
    And by German aircrafts as well if they had drifted too far West to get to where the fish were.
    The German Kriegstagesbuch from Western and Southern Jutland list a number of these attacks. But only date, name of fishing boat and if it was a English or German plane.
    See also: http://www.flensted.eu.com/194108.shtml
    Best regards
    Soren Flensted
    WWW.Flensted.EU.Com