Thread: Pay for RAFVR personnel in Canada

Thanks

Default Pay for RAFVR personnel in Canada

In a letter written by a Flight Lieutenant to his wife in January 1941, he states he was only allowed to draw 5 a month - which made things a bit difficult as everything (except cigarettes) was more expensive than in the UK. He was based at St John's, Newfoundland (and probably one of just two RAF officers there.)

Would anyone know how much an OR or NCO was allowed to draw?

Brian

Thanks

I should add that I'm trying to determine what two Cpls would have been allowed. So far as I'm aware there was no RAF presence at St John's at the time, only Navy. The men, two officers and the Cpls, were serving on merchant ships, and I think the Cpls were essentially restricted to living on board whilst in harbour by virtue of shore accommodation being too expensive.

Brian

Thanks

Newfoundland was not a part of Canada until 1949.
    It still was a British colony in 1941 and any issues were home grown.

John

Thanks

My thanks for improving my education, John, I had not appreciated the province's history. My understanding is the meteorological section of Newfoundland Airport (as was, but now Gander) was maintained and run by Canada, so perhaps I may be forgiven for implying otherwise.

If Scotland votes for a separation from the UK later this year I wonder how long it will be before everyone recognises the same difference - except in reverse. My wife, a Scot, cannot understand why she is disbarred from voting on the issue!

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 13th March 2014 at 10:36.

Thanks

Just a little aside, in his last letter home (June 1941) my man commented that, rank for rank, RCAF officers were paid twice as much as RAF officers.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 13th March 2014 at 13:57. Reason: spelling

Thanks

More Canadian history for you Brian ;).

1. RCAF pay rates were set by Canadian standards, to attract an all volunteer force (at least until 1944). The same pay rate was paid where ever the RCAF member was located, and I have seen many examples of friction between RCAF and RAF people around this time, doing the same job in the same unit in Europe, North Africa or the Far East, and receiving very different pay.

2. Newfoundland was not part of Canada at the time, but the UK gave sweeping powers to the Canadian military in Newfoundland, basically turning over the defence of the island to Canada from the earliest days of the war. After the US entered the war, they received a similar special status. As a result, there was, as you said, little or no formal UK military presence on the island during these times.

Thanks

My thanks, Bill, for this valuable background information. You prompted a bit of digging and I found this quite useful http://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_ma...16_3_15-32.pdf - although it's Navy rather than Air Force it provides a good overview of the background.

In the documentation I have, the only reference to a British(?) military presence is a Naval Officer in Charge, although I guess he must have had a small support staff.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 13th March 2014 at 14:10.

Thanks

One of whom would, undoubtedly, have been a Scribbly/Paymaster?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

A very interesting document Brian. I once heard a senior DND staff member comment that for the RCN in the Second World War the enemy was the RN, the RCAF, and the Germans. In that order.