Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Squadron Battle of France

Thanks

Default 2 Squadron Battle of France

Has any member knowledge of the ORB's for 2 Squadron Lysanders I am trying to trace an air gunner who was flying with them, any observations on that units records if they survived would be most welcome. Thank you.....

Thanks

Hello Colin

I've copied this Squadron ORB for the Battle of France.

What are you after ?

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss.

I am seeking detail of an observer Air Gunner LAC ' V H JARVIS' who was a pre war member of the RAF and served in No2 Squadron Army Co Operation duties. Any reference to this man would be of great help if possible Joss, thank you. Sorry to say I have no dates at all to assist ! Colin.

Thanks

Hello Colin

I have September 1939 to 31st May 1940, and only October 1939 has a form 541 during that period, and there's a partial one for May 1940.

The ORB is quite thin on details, and postings in/out are recorded for officers only.

I only spot this occurence in the form 540 : "27th May 1940 8 aircraft took off at 09.45 hours to drop water, ammunition, and supplies on the beleaguered garrison at Calais. [...] The crews were : [...] P/O DUDENEY & LAC JARVIS [...]. The supplies, which had to be dropped on the CITADEL, CALAIS, were dropped from a height of 50 ft. One container only fell outside the target."

Form 541 completes the above : They flew Lysander II KO-V, 09.45-10.30, and P/O P.A. DUDENEY experienced a hang-up on both racks. It's also spelt DUDENCY on a duplicate page of the form 541.

Correct spelling is indeed Dudeney, Patrick Alan 41992
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34805/pages/1317

Not much I'm afraid

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 13th March 2014 at 13:23. Reason: typo

Thanks

Thank you Joss at least I know the pilots name and that was an interesting drop they made. I will try to see if the return to UK ORBs plot him....once again thank you.

Thanks

Maybe: Victor Herbert Jarvis 645266

Thanks

Paul. Close because I have found him Victor Hubert JARVIS 349632 - its a great shame the ORB's are lacking strange how they only include the one sortie for him.

Thanks

Thanks

In 1940 No2 Squadron were apparently flying Anti Invasion sorties and had been engaged in 'gas offensive' deployment another area of this units interesting work and I hope work that Jarvis took part in. Has anyone done any research into this area of No2 Squadrons work please.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

P/O Dudenay and the then listed Sgt Jarvis were amongst the crews of A Flight of No.II(AC) Sqdn that were split off on 24 October 1940 to be part of the initial aircraft and crews, along with B Flight from No.26 Sqdn, to reform No.268 Sqdn at Westley. He is listed regularly as the air gunner for P/O Dudenay up until the time Dudenay is posted out from 268 to join Bomber Command in February 1941. Jarvis is recorded until early April 1941 when he too appears to be posted out. Similarly to the No.II(AC) Sqdn ORBs, the No.268 Sqdn ORBs don't give much information on the posting in and out of the NCO air gunners, and even some of the officer postings are pretty hit and miss.

As context for the postings out, late March to early April 1941 there was posting out of a growing number of pilots and air gunners to meet demands coming from Bomber Command for aircrew, then May 1941 air gunner numbers start to drop on the AC Squadrons as the Tomahawks start to arrive and the need for air gunners is reduced.

Main activity during the time the Dudenay/Jarvis pairing are recorded with 268 is the dawn and dusk anti invasion patrols along the coast, participation in a couple of Army exercises and a stint late 1940 to early 1941 doing some anti aircraft co-operation work with AA gunners at Gatwick.

There is a photograph in the No.II(AC) Sqdn history 'Second to None' by Hans Onderwater of Sgt Jarvis and a number of the other No.II(AC) Sqdn air gunners taken after the return from France.

Regards,
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-1946
    Historian by Appointment
    (by the surviving Squadron members)