Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastal Command "walker"

Thanks

Default Coastal Command "walker"

I am reading the book, To Hell in a Halifax by Herbert Krentz who was a pilot shot down in early 1944 and spent the remainder of WW2 as POW in Stalag IV B where he asked fellow POWs to write about their last mission and how they came to become a POW.
    I have a question regarding one of the entries in the book written by a POW.
    In the following entry Lionel Stewart begins his account with,
    "One of those Coastal Command "walkers.""

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the the term "Coastal Command "walker"" means?

I have included part of the entry below to give a better idea of the context.
    ===================================
    Lionel Stewart, RCAF. Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
    Stavanger, Norway: July 16, 1943. Coastal Command / Hampden
    "Dear Herb,
    One of those Coastal Command "walkers." Flew in torpedo bomber Hampden. Ditched off the coast of Norway south of Stavanger after coastal bombardment. Picked up by Jerry minesweeper, taken to Bergen...
    Stew. February 21, 1945"
    ====================================

Thanks

Ladies - avert your gaze!!!

'Coastal Command Walkers' - perhaps the (ex-Bomber Command) writer couldn't spell?

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colins comment most certanly fits ! The quote as given is one that I have not come across other than in the contex of having been a 'Late Arrival Club Member' but walking on water rather presents a problem.......

Thanks

The thought had popped into mind when i first read it, but did'nt like to say :-)

Thanks

Oldduffer, colinpateman, AllanW:
    Thanks for your input; however, try as I might, I don't seem to be able to figure out what you are referring to.
    Old duffer's warning that "Ladies - avert your gaze" should clue me in to something that is racy, sexist, etc.
    Just a wild guess; are you suggesting that a Coastal Command "walker" occurred when a released torpedo failed to hit the mark or failed to explode so was then compared to incomplete sexual activity?
    If the explanation is inappropriate for posting to this site, please spell-it-out for me in a private email.

Other than that, I was thinking that the old fully loaded Hampden flew so slowly that it was about as fast as walking, hence the term Coastal Command "walker."
    I'm researching incidents where Coastal Command ground-crew went up unauthorised on various ops so I was thinking (another wild guess) a Coastal Command "walker" may have been one of those ground crew who went up on an op.

Thanks

Ok, thanks to the urban dictionary online.. now I know.
    I have heard numerous slang referring to that but I have never heard that particular one.

So, is the writer referring to himself as a "walker" or is he referring to his last op as a "walker"?

Thanks

My read on Oldduffer's "Ladies - avert your gaze" is that he was saying wanker.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Why the deleted posts?

Thanks

My understanding, at this time, is that a Coastal Command "walker" is referring to a
    Coastal Command reconnaissance flight, patrol, or operation.

Thanks

Hello,

16-7-1943
    No.455 Sqn RAAF
    Hampden I AE146 'N'
    Op: Rover patrol/Stand area

Took off Leuchars, early hours, and failed to return from shipping reconnaissance off Norwegian Coast.

1388758 F/Sgt (Pilot) J A R McDONALD RAFVR - PoW
    129410 F/O (Nav./B) John Douglas ARTHURELL RAFVR - PoW
    R/121360 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) W E RAMSAY RCAF - PoW
    R/109240 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Lionel F C STEWART RCAF - PoW

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 15th March 2014 at 04:23.