Thread: Fulmar loss Aberdour August 1940

Thanks

Default Fulmar loss Aberdour August 1940

Dear all.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules but asking this question as it relate to the Fleet Air Arm rather than RAF.

I am trying to find the identity of a Fulmar which crashed near Aberdour on the 11th August 1940. It seems the pilot was Henry William Isherwood who was serving with 806 Squadron at the time. They were based on HMS Invincible and seem to have been the first squadron operational with the Fulmar.

So far I have very little on the incident or Isherwood. I assume he'd been flying operationally prior to his death as his medal group seems to be the 39/45 Star, Atlantic Star, and War Medal.

I was wondering if any member knew whether or not ORBs for FAA squadrons survive at Kew. I was also wondering if the RAF Museum holds loss and movement cards for FAA aircraft.

Any help would be great.

Johnnie.

Thanks

Hello,

The aircraft was N1880 of 806S, it crashed at Whitehill Kennels.

DaveW

Thanks

H Johnnie,
    Fulmar was N1880 which spun into the ground near Whitehill Kennels, Aberdour. Henry Isherwood's grave is at Douglas Bank Cemetery in Dunfermilne. His name appears on the Active Officers list of February 1940 as a Midshipman with a seniority of July 1939.
    N1880 was delivered new in July 1940 to 806Sqn at Donibristle therefore only had a life of a few weeks.
    Unfortunately the Navy destroyed a lot of their records with very little left to go on. There are no details in the ADM1/ or ADM358/ series at the National Archives. Unfortunatly that is all I have.
    I would be interested in anything else that turns up on the accident or the Pilot.

Alan.

Alan.

Thanks

Many thanks for the help with the aircraft ID and crash location.

With a bit of luck I might be able to pull something from the FAA museum. I'll let you know what turns up.

Johnnie