Thread: Searching for info on a relative

Thanks

Default Searching for info on a relative

Good morning

I was directed towards the thread below, as it mentions my late uncle, Noel Ogram.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...Squadron-Query

I'm trying to find out a little more about his time in Lancasters (or other aircaft). I've already learned something new, as I thought he was a navigator, but the thread says he was a wireless operator.

As my oldest uncle and the only one that saw active duty in WW2, I was always fascinated with his experiences (although to be fair, he rarely spoke about them).

I still have the Coulson 'Outbound Lancaster' print that he bought for me for my first house, some thirty years ago.

Noel died a few years ago, and his widow, Stella died last year. As he had no children of his own, their estate was distributed across the wider family, meaning my brother and I received a modest and unexpected windfall. This in turn has rekindled my interest in Noel's time in the RAF.

I'm told that somewhere in the family, we have a photo of Noel with his Lancaster crew - I'm currently trying to locate it.

Is there anything that you can tell me about his time in the RAF? Did he fly in Lancasters exclusively, or did he work his way up? How many missions did he fly? Was his plan ever damaged? I have a hundred and one questions.....

Thanks in advance

Nigel Ogram

Thanks

Hi Nigel,
    I can certainly help you out with your uncles time with 50sqdn. Would you like to come and visit the 50/61 Squadron Association forum, which i run, at www.squadronforum.freeforums.org and take a look, and post your request, just in case others there can also help.
    Alan.

Thanks

Thankyou - will post on squadronforum in a minute or two

Thanks

Nigel,

You should be able to obtain your uncle's service record - go to https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records for details. Since he survived the war you will need a death certificate, but the reference provides guidance.

Brian