Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P/O Watson - Lancaster LL847

Thanks

Default P/O Watson - Lancaster LL847

I have recently aquired the Log Book of P/O Watson who was Bomb Aimer on Lancaster LL847, Jo-D(igger) of 463 RAAF Squadron when it was lost on a raid to Munich on 18/19 December 1944 (I believe the Lancaster at the RAAFA museum at Bull Creek is done up as this Lancaster). The plane came down at Le Gros-Theil in France and all crew were lost - the crew being

F/O K.e.H.Bennett RAAF KIA
    F/O J.H.Ogilvie RAAF (P2) KIA
    Sgt R.G.Nuttall KIA
    F/S S.Easton KIA
    P/O T.N.Watson KIA
    F/S R.W.Byrnes RAAF KIA
    Sgt H.Fowler KIA
    Sgt G.A.C.Frizzell KIA

I have gathered some info from the lost bombers site, the excellent 467463 site also looked up F/O Bennetts records on the Australian archives site - but ... I am interested in any extra information on the aircraft or crew, especially the circumstances of the loss - it was well behind Allied lines when it crashed & I have been told their are no Luftwaffe claims that tie in with it.

Scans of the Log Book along with pics can be seen at http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/ab64/watson/

Thanks in advance.

Alistair

Thanks

Default A705s?

Hi Alistair,
    Since you're familiar with the Australian archives sites, you may have already investigated this, but the document that you could expect to give the most detail about the specific circumstances of an individual's death would be the MRES A705 casualty files. I see there are files on record for Ogilvie and Byrnes (couldn't see one for Bennett) but unfortunately none are presently digitised. I see the Nominal Roll site is also wrong since it gives Bennett's squadron as 189 at his time of death. They will correct it if they're informed.
    Regards
    Max Williams

Thanks

Hi Max,
    I noticed the 3 Australians had files that werent available online, you used to be able to request files and they basically moved up the priority list (well Navy ones anyway) but that option didnt seem available. I may just have to wait for them.

The ORBs have the crew being posted as a group on 23rd Nov 1944, but only Bennett & Watson have a note as coming from 189 Squadron, as you can see from the Log Book scans they only flew one mission with 189 having previously flown with 61 Squadron.

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks

Default Files on-line

Alistair, if you're feeling "flush" you can pay for files to be digitised, as I did for Rolly Ward's service record of 467 squadron, presumably you can do the same for A705s. It's about 16 I seem to remember and takes about a month or so.
    Max

Thanks

Hi,
    I'm not really in a rush for the information, its just to build a better picture of the crew , I think the Australian archives have spoilt me by giving so much info for free - I have a lot of WW1 Australian paybooks and have look up anywhere between 30-60 pages on each of them - after that I almost grudge paying for the info (maybe thats just me being Scottish), whereas I should accept the cost and just be gratefull for what I get.

Alistair

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galgos View Post
    Alistair, if you're feeling "flush" you can pay for files to be digitised, as I did for Rolly Ward's service record of 467 squadron, presumably you can do the same for A705s. It's about 16 I seem to remember and takes about a month or so.
    Max
    Max,

I think you meant to say AU$16 instead of those expensive pound thingies!

Errol

Thanks

You're kind of right Errol, I didn't know how to do one of those funny Ss with a line through the middle! Oh, I think I've just found one on my keyboard: Shift+4 = $!!!
    Live and learn! :-)
    Max

Thanks

Finally got round to ordering the A705 files for the 3 Australians, they added a bit more information, but not a great deal. A friend who now lives in France got in touch with a lady whose father was the Mayor at the time in Le Gros Theil, she remembered bits about it (was young at the time), and more amazingly P/O Watsons family had visited and stayed with her family and in return she had visited his family in Scotland, she was going to try dig out a picture of the original grave. One odd thing she said was that locally it was known as "The Canadian Grave" no idea why as their were no Canadians in the crew.

I tried contacting the RAAFA museum via email to see if they wanted scans to display with their Lanc but no reply.

Alistair

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galgos View Post
    You're kind of right Errol, I didn't know how to do one of those funny Ss with a line through the middle! Oh, I think I've just found one on my keyboard: Shift+4 = $!!!
    Live and learn! :-)
    Max

Maybe you could tell this ex pat how to do a pound sign on my keyboard.

Thanks

David,

"Maybe you could tell this ex pat how to do a pound sign on my keyboard."

If you are using WORD - click on 'insert' on the tool bar, then click on 'symbol' - you should find the sign there.

Errol