Thread: No. 15 Recruit Centre

Thanks

Default No. 15 Recruit Centre

Can anyone confirm where this was in January 1941? The only note I have found is that it was formed in Blackpool in July 1941, but my man went there in January.

I have this airman starting at No. 9 Recruit Centre (Blackpool) 2/12/41, then No. 3 Recruit Centre (Padgate) 29/12/41, before going to No. 15 Recruit Centre 23/1/42. After that it seems like:

No. 62 Wireless Unit 24/2/42
    Aircrew Reception Centre 6/6/42
    No. 14 Initial Training Wing 1/7/42
    No. 1660 Conversion Unit 20/12/42
    and then a Squadron

This seems an odd way round. He was a wireless op/air gunner although I cant see any gunnery training for him. Anyone care to guess?

Thanks
    Last edited by Unverified 9395; 17th March 2014 at 12:14.

Thanks

Airman 1, Hi,

Blackpool Recruit Centre may have been just that - i.e only an office. Medical(s), Attestation, Number issued, and then off to Padgate for issue of Kit, Jabs, Square Bashing, etc, etc. Blackpool are only (on one list) recorded as having issued:-

1300001 to 1311744 Jun 1940 Blackpool
    1325001 to 1326573 Jly 1940 Blackpool
    1350001 to 1360800 Jun 1940 Blackpool

It may then have become just a sort of District Office from the main centre at Padgate. You should aware that now somewhat elderly ex-RAF persons may suffer an attack of the conniptions at the very mention of the word 'Padgate'!!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter and thanks

The lads service number was 1786420 which by my calculations was a block for 'Inspector of Recruiting for Local Enlistments for deferred service at CRCs' (correct me if Im wrong.

Being young, he apparently first went to the 'Euston Recruit Centre' (I presume where he first applied) on 12th March 1941, being placed on the Reserve as from the following day because of his age I think. Next stop was No. 9 RC, and so on as below.

Its possible that, like many he was sent to various stations until a place on a training course opened up, which might explain the three recruit Centres, but I am a little puzzled as to why there is seemingly no gunnery training, and why the ITW is stuck in the middle, having apparently already been to wireless school.

Any guesses?

Thanks

Airman 1, Hi,

Yup, I’ve got the same block in my list – where CRC = Combined Recruiting Centre.

1700001 to 1800000 Sep 1941 Inspector of Recruiting for Local Enlistments for deferred service at CRCs.

Ive got a lot of my WW2 Uniformed Met Men in this block which, as far as I can see, was used for those who had reached age 18 (i.e. liable for Call-Up) but who were re-sitting their Highers, or going to University. This proved they had Registered but were Deferred until their education was finished!

You might have to get his RoS just to check the dates and on which POR/Date the changes were made! One of my blokes RoS had an important posting 5 entries out of sequence. Made a total nonsense until you put it in the right date order!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Re; Gunnery Training.

Your dates show almost six months at ITW which seems excessive, so I am guessing that he followed the normal route of ITW, followed by his Gunnery (Trade) Training during this period.

I can't find any references to the location of 62 Wireless Unit, so I am not sure how that fits into the overall scheme of things.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]