Thread: 61 Sqn ORB

Thanks

Default 61 Sqn ORB

Hello,
    I am looking for an information about the results of operation of bombing Posen on 10/11 October 1940.
    According to 5 Group ORB, five HEMSWELL Hampdens were detailed and all returned safely. I suppose that they must have belonged to 61 Sgn.
    I would like to know whether all of them reached target and successfully completed their operation.
    Perhaps RAF Hemswell ORB would be also helpful.

I would appreciate any assistance.
    Regards,
    Greg

Thanks

Hi Greg,
    according to ORB, not 61sqdn, , but may have been 144sqdn, who were also at Hemswell at this time.

Thanks

Alan, your`re definitely right.
    I`ve forgotten that there was another squadron stationed at Hemswell.
    So the question is if in ORB of 144 Sqn, or Hemswell Station ORB such details could be found.

Regards,
    Greg

Thanks

Greg,

Are you sure about the date ? I can find no evidence that 5 Group sent any Hampdens to Posen that night or any night in October, bit it seems they sent at least 4 on the night of 10/11 November 1940. From 'THE HAMPDEN FILE' by Harry Moyle .

Martin Gleeson

Thanks

Hi Greg and Martin,

According to the Night Bomb Raid Sheets (AIR14/2669) on 10/11 November 1940 4 Hampdens were sent out to the Posen marshalling yards (M.509).

"4 a/c took off. One dropped bombs on unidentified town in EAST PRUSSIA. 2 x 500 + 120 x 4 lbs. One bombed HORNUM seaplane base. 4 x 500 lbs. Two jettisoned bombs in sea owing to partial engine failure."

However 3 of these Hampdens were from 44 Sqdn from Waddington....

Can you please check your primary source again, Greg?

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

Hans & Martin, sorry for this misunderstanding. It is my fault.
    Of course I should have written - 10/11 November intead of October.

Anyway, according to 5 Group ORB "5 HEMSWELL aircraft were detailed by 5 Group O.O. no. B.283 to attack military objectives at Posen and 3 SCAMPTON and 2 WADDINGTON aircraft to attack military objectives at DANZIG, all these aircraft also to drop leaflets. The weather was very unfavourable and only two aircraft reached DANZIG but all returned safely."
    The latter operation is researched by me quite precisely. However I would like to learn some details about the former raid to POSEN.
    It may be concluded from above 5 Group ORB entry that all Hampdens from Hemswell (61 Sqn or 144 Sqn) were successfull in their operation although I would like to confirm that conclusion form other sources as well.

Greg

Thanks

In that case, 61sqdn sent one aircraft, Hampden X2967, piloted by P/O Langford, crew, Sgt Williams, Sgt Sinclair, Sgt Russell. Took off at 21.34, unable to reach target, returned early due to oil pressure failure, landed at Massingham at 00.30. Scan of page on way by email.
    Last edited by AlanW; 18th March 2014 at 18:24.