Thread: Hawkinge AIR SEA RESCUE FLIGHT 1941

Thanks

Default Hawkinge AIR SEA RESCUE FLIGHT 1941

It appears that the ORB's for this unit are not on line for me, has anyone accessed them or by chance have this units records please. I am continuing on my quest with a Lysander Air Gunner/Wireless Operator Sgt Jarvis who joined the unit in May 1941 and between that month and October 1941 engaged in at least six successful rescues. I hope to try and establish those particular sorties - thanks for reading my post. Colin.

Thanks

Colin,

Whilst I can't help with your quest for the appropriate ORB, you may wish to also try the MCU ASR ORBs at Kew. In my experience, rescues were very often joint affairs with the a/c 'homing' the boats. As such, there may well be mention of the involvement of a/c from the flight. Not such a long shot as it first sounds.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny thanks for that possibility but without any dates to go on I think I really am in the fog with this one.

Thanks

Oh Colin, I was at Kew on Thursday and was looking through this F540. If I had known earlier! I can send you copies of July 1941 entries, as Sergeant Jarvis is listed several times, his pilot being Pilot Officer Hunt. Message me your email and I will send them on.

Regards

Andy

Thanks

A big thanks to Andy who has supplied some great information and the 540's are detailed enough to establish much more in relation to the men rescued. Fantastic.........

Thanks

Dear All
    I am trying to follow a similar problem with attempting to follow the ASR activity in the Thames Estuary between 8th to 10th December 1941. On a recent trip to Kew I was able to look at the MCU ASR ORB for Dover which also contained the pages for Ramsgate which should cover your area Colin. The MCU ASR base on the south Essex coast did not start until mid December 1941.
    From help given on this Forum a while ago by various members I was also able to look at a variety of Squadron ORBs to ascertain which aircraft were sent to search for the crew I am researching and which aircraft were sent to search for the pilots of two Spitfires that were missing in the Channel. Reading through all the above ORBs, there were cross references to both these searches and two others. However it is not always clear as to who is searching for what.
    I have also found that the Station ORBs can be good sources for information that is not always listed in the Squadron ORBs. As Jonny suggested the MCU ASR ORBs are a good place to look, but I also found references to surface craft in the Station ORB for the missing aircraft's own base. As yet I have had no personal success on finding surface craft, but the Dover ORB (National Archives Kew: AIR29/445 – 27 ASR Dover Ramsgate ORB ADM199/405 – Dover War Diary 1941 ADM199/406 –Dover War Diaries) did have some good detail. My own searches also brought up reference to 16 Group, Coastal Command.
    I believe that the MCU ASR service was a mix of RAF and Naval personnel. There could therefore be a possibility that information can be found in the AIR/ files at Kew as well as the equivalent Admiralty files.
    I believe that the RNLI had handed the control of their Lifeboats over to the Admiralty at this time.... presumably the hazard of minefields was better left to the Royal Navy.

If anyone comes across a search by two Beauforts, two Hurricanes or a Lysander (Squadrons unknown) for the crew of Hampden AE191 (P/O Parsons) in the Thames Estuary on 8th -10th December 1941 I would be very grateful.

Colin, I am very much enjoying your book on Goldfish, Caterpillars and Guinea Pigs. An excellent piece of research and a fantastic tribute.

Best wishes
    James