Thread: Spitfires losses on 2 August 1941

Thanks

Default Spitfires losses on 2 August 1941

Hello,

On 2 August 1941, two Spitfires were lost in action, but data about these losses is very scarce in all sources I have:

_ at 1605 hrs two Spitfires of 129 Sqn intercepted a Ju 88 of KüGr 506 70 miles east of Spurn Head and Plt Off D O Cunliffe shot it down, but his own aircraft was hit by return fire and either ditched and crashed on return depending of source, all agreeing that he was lost/wrecked, while the pilot was unhurt.

_ at 1920 hrs a Spitfire of 54 Sqn was shot down by Flak off Ostend during a sweep and crashed in the sea. His pilot was rescued, but his name is not known.

In both case, no serial is known for these Spitfires. I will be interested in knowing these serials, and the name of the 54 Sqn aircraft.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Hi Laurent
    From "Fighter Command Losses" Vol 1 (Revised edition) by Norman Franks, there is only one loss recorded for 2/8/41 and it is your 1st a/c. Cunliffe survived the crash landing which Franks says was at Leconfield with the a/c being repaired. He gives the a/c as Spitfire 1,X4427
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hello Laurent,

are you sure about No. 54 Squadron ? There's no mention of a loss in their ORB, both form 540 and 541. The form 540 mentions a Rhubarb, the form 541 gives it as an offensive sweep, by 5 pilots, who all landed back. The various times of take off (18.50 to 19.10) and landing (20.20-20.30) lead towards Rhubarbs, rather than a sweep. No mention of the target area. Times are matching with your information.

Joss

Thanks

Well, I was asking because this mysterious loss by 54 Sqn RAF is both in "Fighter Command Losses" and "Fighter Command Diaries" book, as was the 129 Sqn loss (I have not the revised edition of FCL vol 1), but I couldn't find any of them in the Spitfire production list.

And the fact that the pilot of 54 Sqn was also unknow was strange. So if there is nothing in the 54 Sqn ORB, I guess there was no loss, and it is a typo or a misinterpreted document or a wrong date.