Thread: 217 Sqn Beaufort AW188

Thanks

Default 217 Sqn Beaufort AW188

Still in my project of book, in the presentation pages, I’ll include a part of a German map edited on November 25th 1941on which I suspect the loss of 217 Sqn RAF/ CC Beaufort AW188 MW – Q to be shown, as the map is a record of flights by radars over north west Brittany, France. Two marks of two different colors superpose just before one disappears.

The crew was (from Ross some years ago)
    Sgt BOYD ORR Noel (1053586, RAFVR) was MIA. Son of Lord Boyd Orr, D.S.O., M.C., F.R.S., J.P., L.L.D., and Lady Boyd Orr, of Brechin, Angus. Remembered on Panel 40 on RM
    CRONIE J A (1057463) POW n° 24802 at L3
    Sgt. GILL Mervyn (Pilot, 1181624, RAFVR) was KIA. Son of William Edwin Gill and of Hebe Mary Gill, of New Southgate, Middlesex. Buried Plot 40. Row 2. Grave 16 at Brest
    Sgt. GRIFFITHS John Richard (Obs, 1013752, RAFVR) was KIA . Buried Plot 40. Row 2. Grave 14 at Brest.

I wondered if any member would have been in touch with the sole survivor CRONIE J A , or would have seen any escape/evasion report he may have filled ? (his rank is still unknown to me)
    Was he picked up in the sea, or had he bailed out before been captured ?
    Also would like to be able to share this with any existing relative of any of these airmen, if any of you would have had a contact.

Regards
    Gildas

Thanks

Nothing unfortunately at: http://lostaircraft.com/database.php...wentry&e=30201 pages one through 7

I have him as POW at: http://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Bre...finistere.html

I am just entering the loss record now at: http://lostaircraft.com/database.php...wentry&e=30201
    If any of you find any further information on this mission, his POW number and POW camps he was interned in
    please PM me here, or email me at ASovereign at REMOVE_THIS shaw. ca
    Tnx!

Fred Wilson, Vernon BC Canada.
    Last edited by Fred Wilson; 12th May 2014 at 02:57.

Thanks

Dear Sirs

My wife's uncle was J A Cronie and we have a copy of his debrief notes when he was liberated from Stalag 3. He was one of the forger team.

If you are interested, please reply to this thread and I can send a copy to you.

Regards

Mike Insley

Thanks

Thanks Fred and mike, and sorry for the delay to answer.
    Yes, I'm much interested in this document, as it certainly gives anwers to many questions we have. I'll forward a copy of the german document to your reply to my contact which is gildassaouAThotmail.com, replacing of course AT by @.
    Any information you may have about him as when and where born, studies would also be interesting.
    With kind regards
    Gildas