Thread: 175squadron at Volkel Oct-Nov 1944

Thanks

Default 175squadron at Volkel Oct-Nov 1944

My grandfather was taken to 50mf hospital on 26/10 and transferred to no8 general hospital on the 27/10 in Brussel. He spent a month in there. He was left for dead at some point and we think it was there. Did anything happen around these dates?

Thanks

Query is a bit vague (grandfather's name, rank, role?), but actually very little is reported in 175's ORB. The weather was 'clamped' on 25 and 26 Oct. no flying at all. No reports of accidents or injuries either.

Thanks

Hi Chris what about when the squadron was at westhampnett

Thanks

According to Jeffords "RAF Squadrons" 175 left Westhampnett on 1 April 1944, moving to Holmsley South, then moving to mainland Europe on 20 June 1944, and not coming back to the UK until 21 November 1944 to Warmwell from Volkel, for 2 weeks, going back to mainland Europe on 4 December, again to Volkel, so Westhampnett is way off your query dates.

You still haven't given us any detail on your grandfather, nor whether he was ill or injured.

My own father was at Grave and Diest in this period, and the weather was terrible, so it could easily be exposure.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Having helped the original poster decipher his grandfather's service record, who was a Flight Mechanic / Fitter II, I can confirm that he was hospitalised twice, once whilst at Westhampnett (2 weeks [Mar/Apr 1944]) and once whilst at Volkel (4 weeks [Oct 1944]).

There is nothing in the record to identify the reasons behind the hospitalisation, hence these enquiries [albeit vague].

As you say, 175 Squadron ORB's for October 1944 do not show any major incidents (which answers the first posting) and I think the original poster would like to now know if there were any incidents at Westhampnett which would have caused injuries in March 1944

I hope this clarifies.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

hello Pete

Thanks for the background - as a flight mechanic out in the open (presumably) perhaps it was exposure as I wrote earlier, obviously not deemed serious enough to warrant an entry on his records. And I don't suppose the medical records still exist for Westhampnett and Volkel.

Allan
    Allan Hillman