Thread: Searching for info on air crash May 1942

Thanks

Default Searching for info on air crash May 1942

Hello,

I am looking for information about an Air Crash which I believe occurred in May 1942. The individual who died in this crash was Jack Douglas Royal, his CWGC link is here http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...JACK%20DOUGLAS

Jack was a Flight Lieutenant in the R.A.F.V.R. He had been on Wellingtons before dying on the 18th of May 1942. I have photos of him from his school days and a couple of references from the London Gazette and a photo of his grave but absolutely nothing else.

I would like to know which squadron he served in and particularly the circumstances in which he died.

Jack was an old boy of Emanuel School in Battersea and I am remembering him and the 1600 Old Emanuel boys who served in both world wars in November at a free public exhibition.

Any help would be much appreciated. I can be contacted through my blog Emanuel School at War.

Thank you.

Daniel.

Thanks

Possibly

18.5.42 Wellington lA P2516 26 OTU Lossiemouth Crashed on take off

Thanks

18/5/42, 20 OTU, Wellington P2516, taking off for training flight. Swung off runway, and crashed into an excavator. The resulting explosion tore apart the aircraft, and motally wounded the excavator driver, Mr W. Duncan.

F/Lt J.D. Royal. Lossiemouth.
    F/Sgt E.R. Hamilton, RCAF. Lossiemouth.
    Sgt G.W. Thornton. Newcastle Upon Tyne Cemetery (Byker & Heaton)

From OTU Losses Chorley.

Thanks

Thank you both, that is very kind of you. Extraordinary story attached to this. Could you just confrim which OTU again please as you both have two different numbers.

Many thanks.

Daniel.

Thanks

I would imagine Alan is correct with 20 OTU (they were based at Lossiemouth) - Mine is probably a transcription error

Thanks

Many thanks.