Thread: Aberystwyth University and the RAF in WW2?

Thanks

Default Aberystwyth University and the RAF in WW2?

I have an RAF Navigator who, according to his service record, enlisted at Edinburgh, before moving on to No. 1 Recruit Wing in June 1941, then No 6 Initial Training Wing in July, before going to Canada and America to train.

His brother, who has some records, and recollections, states that, at first he went to Aberystwyth University 'to train as an officer cadet'. I've had several 'Recruit Wing' postings but its hard to pin down locations as several training units were broken down as such.

Although the officer cadet reference is irrelevant (at least in the way his ranking worked out) does anyone know if any RAF Training Units were based at Aberystwyth University in the middle of 1941, that could have been the 'Recruit Wing' mentioned?

Thank you.

Thanks

Airman 1, Hi,
    I may (rpt, may) just have a contact who was (a) an RAF Officer, and (b) did a Degree at Aberystwith Uni. Do you wish me to persue this?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

My apologies. As I continue I found that No 6 ITW was at - Aberystwyth! So I have answered my own question!

Thanks Peter, you and I added posts together. I think I have it sorted now. One problem I have is that his service record entries are not all in the correct order, some entered without dates.

Thanks

Airman 1, Hi,
    Yeah, got the same probs with one of my bloke's Service Record. Entries out of chronological order. And then some Clerk Sec writes over the ink written entries in (what I assume is?!) a 2B pencil which is, in itself, illegible, and also makes decripting the script underneath a GCHQ problem. But it keeps us off the streets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!