Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caterpillar Badge

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Caterpillar Badge

Afternoon folks,

Picked a Caterpillar up this week. To W/O J W Garnett, a Pow who probably took part in the forced march from Stalag 4. I found the following details on FMP

First Name(s):J. W.

Last Name:Garnett

Section:Royal Air Force : Officers & Other Ranks

Camp No:L4

POW No:39725

Rank Abbrev.:W/O.

Regt or Corps:Royal Air Force : Officers & Other Ranks

Camp Type:Stalag Luft 4

Camp Location:Sagan and Belaria

The guy I bought the badge from has sent away for his bail out report, could anyone shed some light on which squadron he was on? This is only the second one I have had. The first came from the recipients son, so I had all the details

Thank you
    Adam

Thanks

Please can you confirm that it is J W and not W J and that he's RAF and not RCAF?

I think your man is actually F/S W J Garnett RCAF of 109 Sqn who was shot down 2 Jul 42 in a Wellington AD605. He was in 9C, L6 and L4 and he flew 56 operations. The POW number is as you state. See Canadians in the RAF and Footprints on the Sands of Time.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Nick,
    Thank you very much for the copy of the Questionaire of James Wesley. I hope that you can help to begin a new thread on the subject of my research: what happened with J.W.Garnett and W.J. Morrison directly after the crash, later in the camps and after their liberation?

Regards,
    Simon Bakker

Thanks

Hello,

Garnett was a Canadian serving in the RAF, not the RCAF, as his service number (905930), indicates. His initials are given as, "J. W.", on the undigitised A705 file of the pilot of AD605; AUS403385 P/O Peter Richard Vincent SULLIVAN RAAF.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th March 2014 at 22:25.

Thanks

James Wesley Garnett #905930

From Air 78

Thanks

Loss Card for Wellington AD605 has Flight Sgt J W Garnett 905930

Thanks

I was surprised to read that the badge of James Wesley Garnett was found by Adam.

A question for me is: Was a badge attached to the parachute? The parachute of Morrison, who was landed in the garden of the local bank, was hidden by the banker in his garden under the ground, but the Germans did search the whole day in the village. To prevent reprisals the people has given the parachute at the end of that day - 3 july 1942 - to the Germans. The whole day the Germans had thought that a third parachutist was hidden in the village....

Simon Bakker

Thanks

Adam,

Can you add anything to the story?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Simon,

I am trying to get you a copy of their Caterpillar club applications and Morrison's Liberation Questionnaire.

Promotions were awarded to captive aircrew but much more slowly than those serving.

You will see from Garnett's that when he was captured, he was a Sergeant but on release, he was a Non-commissioned officer, Warrant Officer, as per his liberation questionnaire.

My Father took nearly four years for this promotion, serving airmen could possibly expect the same promotion in 6 to 12 months, others longer, even though they continued to fight, sometimes die, for King and Country.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

.f

Thanks

Nick,
    I found in the list of RAF Commands POW's the name W.J. Morrison. The list is based on the situation in march-april 1944.

Camp: 344 [ = Stalag VIII B renamed as Stalag 344 in 1943] [ = Lamsdorf, "one of the largest camps"] [ ca. 40.000?] ["freed by the Red Army on 17/18-3-1945]
    POW-nr 24953
    Service -nr. 973760
    Force: RAF

I hope that this facts you can help to find other tracks of Morrison.

Simon Bakker