Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Caterpillar Badge

Thanks

Nick,
    I found in the list of RAF Commands POW's the name W.J. Morrison. The list is based on the situation in march-april 1944.

Camp: 344 [ = Stalag VIII B renamed as Stalag 344 in 1943] [ = Lamsdorf, "one of the largest camps"] [ ca. 40.000?] ["freed by the Red Army on 17/18-3-1945]
    POW-nr 24953
    Service -nr. 973760
    Force: RAF

I hope that this facts you can help to find other tracks of Morrison.

Simon Bakker

Thanks

Simon,

If he went to Lamsdorf, it is likely he spent most of the war there but his liberation Questionnaire will confirm that.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonbakker View Post
    Nick,
    You write: At the point he filled in the questionnaire in May 1945 he was WO (but would have received promotion whilst a POW) James Wesley Garnett, RAF, of Kingsbury, NW-Q.

Two questions:
    - which promotion - from what to what - has Garnett received? WO = ?

- His adress in the questionnaire is 13 Wyndale Ave[nue] Kingsbury NW-9 (you write NW-Q).

Was this a guesthouse perhaps?
    Yes, from his Liberation Questionnaire, you will see that he is a Warrant Officer upon release, the Squadron ORB's would give you his rank at the time of the loss.

The house currently there looks a period house with three bedrooms so l think it more likely to be a family house.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Nick,

The questionnaire of Morrison, which Hans sent to me, confirms that: after Dulag Luft he stayed from 22.7.42 until 22.1.45 in Stalag 8 B. He spent so the most time of the war there, in Stalag 8 B. Some
    dates in this questionnaire are not correct, he gives as the date of the crash: 28.5.42, what is not right. How trustworthy are the dates of Morrison? Perhaps are some dates more correct elsewhere in the archives of the RAF and the Caterpillar Club....

Simon Bakker
    Last edited by simonbakker; 26th September 2014 at 22:06.

Thanks

Yes, Nick, now I have the two Liberation Questionnaires, the Garnetts one by you and the Morrisons one by Hans! Thanks for both! Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFenton View Post
    Simon,
    Do you have their POW Liberation Questionnaires?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Simon,

He had been in POW camp for 3 years, got back and would have been sent to Cosford to see how he was where he was asked to fill out his Liberation Questionnaire. From what you will see of the content which Hans has very kindly sent me, you will see little info, the man was in a rush to get home to his family.

Alternatively there were two Morrison's in the Squadron and we have the wrong onebut l have seen this missing/incorrect info many times?

I will have a looksee in the records.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Nick,
    His servicenumber is the same as on the List RAF Commands POW's, also the camp 344. The camp is freed - on that list - by the red Army on 17-18 March 1945. But Morrison write in his Questionnaire that he was in Stalag 8B (=344) untill 22.1.'45. I am curious what jou find by your looksee in the records,

thanks,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by NickFenton View Post
    Simon,

He had been in POW camp for 3 years, got back and would have been sent to Cosford to see how he was where he was asked to fill out his Liberation Questionnaire. From what you will see of the content which Hans has very kindly sent me, you will see little info, the man was in a rush to get home to his family.

Alternatively there were two Morrison's in the Squadron and we have the wrong onebut l have seen this missing/incorrect info many times?

I will have a looksee in the records.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hello

Simon, you must understand that these airmen filled in these PoW questionnaires upon liberation, and usually years after they had been shot down.
    The entry in the PoW questionnaire is "date and place of capture", not "date and place of crash". They are usually one and the same, but not always. Place of capture is usually rather vague, many airmen never knew exactly the place where they had been captured. They would usually write "near ...." and give the name of the large town nearby, often where their captors would take them.

It is not uncommon to have mistakes in the dates they were shot down / captured, because at the time they sometimes didn't pay attention to the day when they took off, because they couldn't know it would be their last mission and the beginning of a new part of their lives. Similarly, some official documents can also be wrong (wrong serial number quoted, we had a recent discussion about No. 402 Squadron Operations Record Book being poorly written at the time). This is why we always try to cross-match sources, especially when we know one source is not totally reliable.

I think the dates of transfer from one camp to another are usually corrects, because then, they could record/remember dates from calendars or diaries. But again, for those who changed camps several times (up to 6 or 7), understand they would rely on their memory on most cases when they filled in their PoW questionnaires in April or May 1945.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 27th September 2014 at 18:42.

Thanks

Simon,

I agree with Joss totally and think this is the right man so l think you should proceed on that basis but l will look in the POW Liberation Questionnaires to see if there are two Morrison's.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Joss,
    Thanks for your caution!

I've seen two questionnaires until now, you have seen a lot of such papers, I think. Garnett gives more details then Morrison . Garnett is thrustfull, I think. The mistakes of Morrison suited your theory that the time they sometimes didn't pay attention to the day when they took off, was because they couldn't know it would be their last mission and the beginning of a new part of their lives.

After his liberation Morrison was in a rush to go home, writes Nick. That's also a possible reason for the mistakes.

I'm sure that the date and place of the capture of Garnett and Morrison is the same: Warmenhuizen,Friday morning 3 july 1942.

Garnett writes: "(near) Zuyderzee Holland 3-7-42"; Morrison writes "Warmarten Holland 28.5.42".

The questionnaire of Morrison demonstrates clearly your plea.

I hope to find and receive more and more as you say "cross-match sources" for the period of Garnett and Morrison between their capture and their return at home.
    Thanks,
    Simon Bakker