Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caterpillar Badge

Thanks

Simon,

Can l also suggest that you start a new thread on the subject of your research.

I have provided Simon with a copy of Garnett's POW Questionnaire as he was in Stalag IXc, Bad Sulza.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Nick,
    Thank you very much for the copy of the Questionaire of James Wesley. I hope that you can help to begin a new thread on the subject of my research: what happened with J.W.Garnett and W.J. Morrison directly after the crash, later in the camps and after their liberation?

Regards,
    Simon Bakker

Thanks

Default Wellington AD 605 lost on night of 2/3 july 1942, 109 Special Duties Squadron.

Guys,

Simon is researching this loss for the village that helped both Garnett and Morrison after this aircraft crashed in Holland. Two of the aircrew were recovered from the aircraft recently and have received a proper burial following the excavation of the aircraft, the others killed were buried at the time.

Garnett and Morrison both parachuted to safety before the aircraft crashed and were helped by the locals, including attending to their wounds, before being found by the Germans and taken to POW camps, hence their membership to the caterpillar club. Happily there were no reprisals.

Does anyone have the Squadron or Station ORB's for this night together with any other information. Does anyone have the Caterpillar club application forms to help Simon with his research? .

Does anyone have any further details of the other crew members or any contact with their relatives?

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Adam,

Can you add anything to the story?

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

I was surprised to read that the badge of James Wesley Garnett was found by Adam.

A question for me is: Was a badge attached to the parachute? The parachute of Morrison, who was landed in the garden of the local bank, was hidden by the banker in his garden under the ground, but the Germans did search the whole day in the village. To prevent reprisals the people has given the parachute at the end of that day - 3 july 1942 - to the Germans. The whole day the Germans had thought that a third parachutist was hidden in the village....

Simon Bakker

Thanks

Hello,
    Sorry, today I have read in Wikipedia that the badge is an honour for every one who saved his life by landing with a parachute.
    I hope that also appears the badge of Morrison.....
    Who knows something?

Simon Bakker

Thanks

The badge was applied for after the incident. Some PoW's managed to get the badge requested while in PoW Camps, and most seem to have asked them to be sent to next of Kin for safe keeping. For instance F/O Harry Ryland "Pop" Bewlay was shot down November 7, 1939 near Wuppertal, Germany in Bristol Blenheim Mk. I L1325

Daily Mirror November 4, 1941
    "A caterpillar pin, which is given by the Caterpillar Club to all airmen who save their lives by parachute, has been sent to Mrs. Bewlay. of Somerset-road, Handsworth, Birmingham, on the instructions of her husband, Flying-Officer H. R. Bewlay. now prisoner in Germany.
    Nursing her baby boy, whom her husband has not seen. Mrs. Bewlay told the Daily Mirror: I got the pin six weeks after he was taken prisoner, but in his letter to me he said nothing about baling out"

Note: No all baleouts would have applied for a badge though most would have, it was not 'automatically' awarded as is was not an official RAF award

Thanks

Paul,
    thank you for this good example. Perhaps did Morrison write as prison also letters, perhaps received also his family (automatically) the badge before he came back?

Simon Bakker

Thanks

Possibility the answer would be in the archives of the Irvin caterpillar Club, but unfortunately these have no public access

Thanks

Is there no possibility, an adress, a person to whom I can write (e-mail?) for the archives of the Irvin caterpillar Club?