Thread: Researching my Grandfather who was a Lancaster navigator WW2

Thanks

Default Researching my Grandfather who was a Lancaster navigator WW2

Hi everyone.

My Grandfather, Norman.A.Quick, 130698 was a Flight Lieutenant, Navigator on Lancasters during WW2.
    i have his Identity Card, Service Release book, Flying Logs, Cap and Identity disks.
    From his Flying Logs I've learned he was with 102 and 150 Squadrons on Halifax and Lancasters. He trained on Anson, Halifax, Wellington and Lancasters.

I'm trying to find out as much as I can while I wait for his Service File to come through from RAF Disclosures.
    Ive found a few entries in London Gazette but wondered if anyone can help further please? I'd love to see a nominal roll, squadron photo or something like that if they exist.

He joined 26 O.T.U in April 1942, flying Anson and Wellingtons. He moved to 1652 Conv unit in April 1943 flying Halifax. In June 1943 he moved to 102 Squadron flying Halifax. He went to 1667 Heavy Conversion unit for a bit then in November 1944 he joined 150 Squadron on Lancasters.

Thank you
    Sam

Thanks

Sam,
    You can try www.fiskertonairfield.org.uk/index.html for bits about 150sqdn. You have just missed the deadline for getting the ORB's for these squadrons from the N/A at a cheap price, 10 per year's worth, as opposed to 3.60 per month now, but there may be someone with them who might be able to help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Sam,
    You can try www.fiskertonairfield.org.uk/index.html for bits about 150sqdn. You have just missed the deadline for getting the ORB's for these squadrons from the N/A at a cheap price, 10 per year's worth, as opposed to 3.60 per month now, but there may be someone with them who might be able to help.
    Hi Alan

My Grandfathers Flying Logs say 102 Squadron were at RAF Pocklington and 150 Squadron at RAF Hemswell.

I'm reading your link with interest.

Do either of these squadrons have associations I can contact to research further?

Thankyou

Sam

Thanks

Hi Sam,

If you pm me your email address and a list of dates of the Ops he flew whilst with 102 Squadron I'll have a look through the ORBs over the weekend and see what I can find.

Rgds

Pete

Thanks

Thank you very much Pete, that'd be amazing. I'll drop you a pm shortly.
    do you know of any Squadron Associations or anybody I can contact that has photographs, nominal rolls etc please?
    Thankyou

Thanks

Sam,
    Googling 102 Ceylon Squadron Association should direct you to a website with the Secretary's contact details.
    I'm not a member so can't help with what info they may or may not have, I would suggest getting a copy of the Squadron history- 'It's suicide but it's fun' by Chris Goss, which lists all losses and gallantry awards as well as personal accounts of airmen serving there. It's out of print but copies frequently come up on internet second-hand book sites.

Pete

Thanks

Thank you Pete. I've sent you a Pm with all the dates and ops you requested.
    thanks
    much appreciated
    sam