Thread: RAF at Arnhem

Thanks

Default RAF at Arnhem

I am interested in 6080 & 6341 Light Warning Units that landed with Airborne Forces during Operation Market Garden. I am interested to know if anyone has any information or links to the following.

- Equipment used.
    - Did they wear the Dennison Smock?
    - If a unit war diary exists for each unit.
    - Are there any photos of these units?

All I know so far is they landed by Horsa Glider.

Cheers

Thanks

Dear Shaun,

Martin Middlebrook, Arnhem 1944, The Airborne Battle, 1994, Appendix 1, has the following: "6080 and 6341 Light Warning Units, RAF These mobile radar units flew in 4 Horsas from Harwell on the second lift. Went in: 45 men; died: 9; evacuated: 4; missing: 32."

Numbers that beg questions as well, but unfortunately I can't help you with your earlier ones. Good luck.

Hans

Thanks

Hello,

At the link below you'll find a page created thanks to the help of Arie-Jan VAN HEES who wrote about these units in his great book “TUGS AND GLIDERS TO ARNHEM” (A must!)
    http://www.raf38group.org/lwus
    Regards.

Bruno
    Last edited by Bruno; 11th April 2014 at 14:31.
    Bruno LECAPLAIN
    Raf WWII 38 Group Squadrons Reunited <www.raf38group.org>
    Stirling Aircraft Society <stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org>

Thanks

Hi both,

Cheers for your replies. I am still trying to find out wether or not they would have been issued the Denison Smock and Airborne helmet, as they only had 2 weeks to prepair for this airborne assualt. I have found a photo of one of their officers in Arnhem wearing HDD (Heavy Duty Dress) the RAF Name for Army BD (Battle Dress).

So i am after some evidence of them being issued the Smock and Helmet.

Cheers again for all your help.

Shaun

Thanks

Just to follow up on this., I have come across an arctical on the interweb which is by a gent writing about Glider Borne Radar... In it there is an account of RCAF and RAF developing the gliderborne radar concept as early as 1943 firstly using Hotspur gliders and later the Horsa, etc.

Also i came across an interesting Quote "Our uniform was unique. We wore Army battledress, boots and web belt. On our heads we wore the blue RAF Regiment beret. Our air force rank was in blue. On our shoulders was the badge of the 6th Airborne Division....."

The fact it mentions 6th Airborne, to me, would put these guys as not at Arnhem... However... You never know...