Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London Gazette website.

Thanks

Default London Gazette website.

Hallo all,

Has anyone tried the "New, Improved" London Gazette website yet ? I cannot get it to work for me at all. Clearly I am doing something wrong. Mostly I look at WW2 era promotions and awards. Nor can I find the quarterly Indexes.

Any comments welcome.

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

I'm glad you've brought this up, Martin, I've had exactly the same problem - from being something that was easy to use and very useful it is now exactly the opposite. And as for the opening page - appalling.

Brian

Thanks

Hello,

Can't but agree. The "programmers" who design these things, like architects and engineers, rarely have to work, live in or use the items they create. They should be made to spend at least a month using the cursed things. It's early days, but there are some serious faults, eg. How do you now access individual pages? They should also restore the Advanced Search feature.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 6th April 2014 at 00:34.

Thanks

Hello,
    Agree all complaints. I chose 1 Apr to change from MS XP to MS Windows 8!! Error! 3 of my most-used sites also chose that date to change their presentations!

On the LG home page click ‘Search All Notices’. Then, in the centre/top box click ‘guide’. There are 6 categories – ‘World War II’ is one of them, click that. Scroll down to ‘publication date’ and you will see a set of dates already inserted (you can change them using the ‘calendar’ icon to the right of each date). Go back up to ‘Text Search’ and put in whatever you were looking for – but you just have to press ‘Enter’ to start the search.

Best I can do. If anybody finds the proper way of doing it (and the Advanced search) then pse let us all know!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter,
    I've followed your instructions, and after clicking WW2, have saved that page to bookmarks bar for convenience

Thanks

Try using Google limited to the site to replace the Advanced Search.

I've been doing this for some time now eg

For search on last name and service number put this in to the google search box:

Rawling 88294 site:www.london-gazette.co.uk

or

Login 88285 site:www.london-gazette.co.uk

A rough search for Rawling(s) and RAF put this into the google search box:

Rawling RAF site:www.london-gazette.co.uk

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 6th April 2014 at 08:58.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Its been driving me crazy too! It's impossible.
    I even resorted to watching and rewatching the video on how to search and it still makes no sense at all.
    I type in a name like Rawlings in the search box. It comes back with a hit - for example JA Rawlings but when you go to the page Rawlings has a completely different set of initials and you have no clue where the JA came from.
    I also hate having to go back to the results page for the next hit and lose the page tab you had up.
    There's my grouch for the day!! I'm off to the airfield for a drink.
    Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Try this version of text into the Google search box Motherbird

"J A Rawlings" site:www.london-gazette.co.uk

The search will limit to the exact phrase:

J A Rawlings

Note that the order of text is important eg J A Rawlings rather than Rawlings J A for this scalpel type search.

All other common database search phrases can be used in the Google text box so you can build the exact advanced search you want.

In the early days of the net I did a small search builder programme using drop boxes to output a composite line of text that could be cut and paste into the Google text box. I'll see if there is a similar freeware before rehashing it for use.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

One possible positive comment? I have, for years, been using a very old and tired screen. I now have a new one - which may be giving the effect? But it does seem that the pages of LG scrip are a bit brighter and 'crisper'. There still appears to be the same problem with one of the fonts they used in WW2 where '1's' are picked up by the OCR as 'I's'. I say this because if anybody goes to the LG with a critique (and there's a box to do it) it would seem only fair to send a balanced critique?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

I'll counter your comment by pointing out that the new display can only uses 2/3 of a page as any hit is restricted within the ridiculous box - what is the point of being able to increase the magnification to 100% or more if the text starts disappearing behind the unused part of the screen.

Ross,

Thank you for your advice, but you should not be having to do this, the website should be easy for EVERYONE to use, not just the few who know their way round things. We are grateful and fortunate in having your guidance, but what about the millions (well, thousands) of others who wish to use the facility?

Brian