Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax L9490 (35 Squadron)

Thanks

Default Halifax L9490 (35 Squadron)

Can anyone shed any light on the flying accident that occurred on 17th July 1941 (Halifax L9490)?.

There is a previous thread on this aircraft to try to establish if a death was linked with it. (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...rmen-26-8-1941) but other than that information is scant.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete

The only thing I can add is that if a death occurred at Linton-on-Ouse in the WW2 period, the Registration District was Bulmer.
    See http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...ts/bulmer.html

Mark

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the additional information; I will keep digging.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Pete - was the skipper S/L Tait? I'm looking at a 35 Sqn Accident Card for the day you mention, but can't see a serial number anywhere on the card....

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Actualy Pete, scrub my last, the accident card has L9495 on it. Could be a typo though, or just poor repro on the microfilm. If S/L Tait was your man, I'd suggest it's the correct card. I'll stop wittering now...

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg

Thanks for wittering; I was just logging in to say that I understand he was in L9495 .... so not that one.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

Thanks

Default Halifax L9490

Hello Pete

I recently purchased two aircraft drwgs (both ripped for a fiver each) and the side elevation of the Halifax drawing has "L9490" on it [a Mark I]. The drawing was drawn by K.A. Merrick, which has been traced by A.A.P. Lloyd, who I presume has added subsequent external alterations/modifications up to Handley Page Halifax Mk. IX, including a view of the various engine type, wing nacelles, etc.

Because, the Drawing contains so many variants, I cannot be certain if the side elevation was how L9490 looked originally, but obviously the original drawing from which this was traced must have been Halifax L9490.

I was aware that Halifax fins were modified, but it shows differing wing tips too.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th March 2015 at 07:55.

Thanks

Hello Pete

Regarding Halifax L9495 Nicholas Roberts has that one landing with U/c up on the 17th July 1941.

There may also have been other lost/damaged aircraft on 24th July 1941, Daylight La Pallice / Scharnhorst? Op, because according to the book White Rose Base (which incidentally mentions L9490 on an earlier Op in 1941) and the Daylight Op mentioned in From Hull, Hell and Halifax only 5 aircraft made it back to base, as 14 Halifax were hit.

In the later book mentioned there is also a 1941 reference to the leadership displayed by K.B. Tait, because the page number for Tait is in the index.

Regarding Chorley 1993 edition he only has two 35 Sqn Halifax and three 76 Squadron Halifax listed for 24/07/1941, but the fate of the remaining a/c are unclear, perhaps they F/L ok and were repaired? They appeared to be operating from a forward base Stanton Harcourt.

With it being a daylight Op and so many being hit, I think that Prime Minister WSC would have shown an interest, so any Daylight Policy or PREM files might mention the Squadron's daylight antics?

The Ops against shipping, I think were known as "Circus", is there a 'Circus' file amongst the AIR files?

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th March 2015 at 08:45.

Thanks

Default Halifax L9490 17 July 1941

Pete

Sorry I've missed the 17 July 1941 pages in Chorley.

What does the Movement Card AM78 say for Halifax L9490 usually on the reverse? Sometimes, but not always the Form / AMO number used to write-off the aircraft, can sometimes give a clue. I've noticed on the 1940 copies that when AMO A.71/40 is used they seem to have been destroyed on the ground in an air attack? Unfortunately, the RAF Museum photocopies are not always dark enough to read this, usually written near the Station space.

Any reference to whether FA (Flying Accident) or FBO (Operational), near the top on the reverse?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th March 2015 at 21:07.

Thanks

Default RAF Aircraft Ledger

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hood View Post
    Pete

Sorry I've missed the 17 July 1941 pages in Chorley.

What does the Movement Card AM78 say for Halifax L9490 usually on the reverse? Sometimes, but not always the Form / AMO number used to write-off the aircraft, can sometimes give a clue. I've noticed on the 1940 copies that when AMO A.71/40 is used they seem to have been destroyed on the ground in an air attack? Unfortunately, the RAF Museum photocopies are not always dark enough to read this, usually written near the Station space.

Any reference to whether FA (Flying Accident) or FBO (Operational), near the top on the reverse?

Mark
    Also if visiting the RAF Museum, ask to see the A.M. Aircraft Ledger too, this is a list of Aircraft Serials in sequence, with brief information against each RAF Aircraft Serial number. You might as well ask to see the Delivery Card too for that particular aircraft.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th March 2015 at 21:07.