Thread: National Archives "Described at item level " what does this mean

Thanks

Default National Archives "Described at item level " what does this mean

I was looking at the AIR 28 series in the National Archives Discovery and this series says

"Air Ministry and Ministry of Defence: Operations Record Books, Royal Air Force Stations. This series consists of Operation Record Books (form 540) and appendices (form 541) for RAF Stations. Also included are some Operation Record Books for RAF Stations which, ...
    Collection: Records created or inherited by the Air Ministry, the Royal Air Force, and related bodies
    Date range:1913 - 1980
    Reference:AIR 28"

however a number of them approximately 90 have the annotation "Described at item level" such as AIR 28/175 - what does this mean? Does it mean the file has not been catalogued (or contains a lot of different stuff) and you take your chance ???

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello Paul,

I think it simply means that several station ORBs are included in the same volume referenced as AIR 28/175. You thus has to go at the lower level to find a description of each ORB.

Best wishes,

Jérémie

Thanks

It is exactly what it means, that the item within the fonds has been described. Normally description doesn't go down that far due to lack of resources.

Stephen

Thanks

Thanks then

Pot luck as to what is included then!

Thanks

Hi Paul

It’s not really pot luck: If you have a piece that’s described as “Described at item level” just click on “Browse by Reference” and it will tell you the individual items within it – in your case the ORBs for Caistor and Cranwell.

In short they’ve just been adding a bit more fine grain to the catalogue and broken down pieces that contain multiple, unrelated, items into those separate items. As another example the Escape and Evasion questionnaires in WO 208 have now been similarly described. You can now find a named individual within them very quickly – something that was previously impossible online. I don’t know how much has been re-catalogued in this way, but a great deal of resource must have been put into it.

In general I think it’s genuinely useful, although its usefulness might be greatly enhanced if the architects of TNA’s current website were not such complete strangers to the concept of usability design. The cynic in me also notes that this fine-grained model also makes possible TNA’s offering digital copies of small parts of records, such as ORBs by the month, at elevated prices.

Niall

Thanks

Niall

Thanks got it now

I was looking 'in wrong place' you need to look at right of reference on "Browse by Reference"

So AIR 28/175 contains

AIR 28/175 CRANWELL 1936 July - 1945 Dec. Details
    AIR 28/175 CAISTOR 1943 June - 1944 Nov.

Doh!