Thread: W/O Edward Laurence Byrne, RAF POW

Thanks

Default W/O Edward Laurence Byrne, RAF POW

Guys,

Lists himself as Fighter Interceptor Unit (4 Group) captured at St. Omer, France on 13th September 1940.

In advance of a trip to Kew, can anyone tell me his squadron?

regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

621878 Sergeant Edward Lawrence Byrne was a radar operator with the Fighter Interception Unit. He was shot down in Blenheim Z5721. No squadron mentioned.

from MotBoB 1989

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 8th April 2014 at 14:34. Reason: typo

Thanks

Some of the ORB has ben transcribed online

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3182.0

Thanks

Dave,

Thanks for that. It gives me a lot more to look for.

Flight Lieutenant R.G.Ker-Ramsey of the F.I.U. was on night patrol over the French coast near Calais on September 13th 1940. He and his crew (G.Dixon & E.L.Byrne) baled out of their Blenheim IVf (Z5721) and were taken prisoner.

From Battle of Britain memorial: In early July 1940 Ker-Ramsay was with 25 Squadron at Martlesham Heath. He was attached to the FIU at Shoreham on the 12th. He was the captain of a Blenheim which failed to return from an operational patrol on the night of 13th September. Ker-Ramsay and his crew, Sgt. G Dixon and Sgt. EL Byrne, baled out and were captured. The Blenheim, Z5721, crashed into the Channel off Calais.

In 1941 Ker-Ramsay was on the Escape Committee at Stalag Luft 1 and worked on two tunnels, both were discovered before completion. During his time at the camp he is said to have worked on more than 100 tunnels.

Transferred to Stalag Luft III, he worked on the three simultaneous tunnels, Tom, Dick and Harry. He organised and controlled the exit during the mass breakout in March 1944 and unselfishly sacrificed his own escape. In April he was appointed Camp Security Officer and it was largely through his efforts that the camp had a reliable news service.

On 4th February 1945 Ker-Ramsay was one of some 3,000 men evacuated from Stalag Luft III and sent to the Merchant Navy camp, Marlag-Milag, at Westertimke. He set up and ran the camp radio there until liberation in April 1945.

Ker-Ramsay was made an MBE (gazetted 28th June 1946) for services as a PoW. He retired from the RAF in 1948 as a Squadron Leader.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Thanks Paul,

Picked that up once l had the aircraft's details.

Interesting story.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hello Nick

Do you have confirmation of the Blenheim crash in the Channel ? I had copied the 3 PoW questionnaires, and one wrote he was captured at/near St Omer, another at/near Calais (both towns are not that close...) and the third one just wrote "France" or "northern France", which doesn't help at all. It is allways possible that one airman bailed out over one town, and another stayed longed in the Blenheim, and delayed his evacuation.

So far I never found a gendarmerie or Police or Mayor's report that would match this loss, there were very very few in this early part of the war.

FIU ORB is in AIR 29/27 at TNA, I had also checked it but obviously it has no detail about the crash location.

Regards

Joss

Indeed Ker-Ramsay was very active in escapes during his time behind the wires.

Thanks

Joss,

I pulled that information from here.

http://www.bbm.org.uk/Ker-Ramsay.htm

They have information and documentation that was donated by Flight Lieutenant R.G.Ker-Ramsey so they may have a first hand account, but equally, they may just have assumed this to be the case. The Sussex version says that they are assuming this to be the case.

I will drop them a line to find out their source of information.

Regards,

Nick