Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Manston August 1942

Thanks

Default RAF Manston August 1942

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what Polish Wing was stationed at RAF Manston late August 1942. I know that 317 Squadron was there, but I am unsure what other units.

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    Sorry mate but I can find no record of 317 being stationed at Manston. One thought though, they may have used it as a forward base during the Dieppe operation although the squadron history doesn't say so.
    Cheers,
    Bill.

Thanks

Bill,

Thanks for your help. I know they were there I have a photograph, and a date. Just trying to discover if they were part of a wing or there as you say as a forward base as a squadron. Date in question August 28th 1942.

Cheers

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hello Steve

According to Jeffords "RAF Squadrons" 317 were based at Northolt from 7 July 1942 to 5 September 1942, when they moved to Woodvale - my first thought also was for the Dieppe operation, but if the Squadron history doesn't confirm it you need to look at them being in a Circus or similar which would take them away from Northolt on 28 August.

Suggest you look at RAF operations in August 1942 via http://lesliesawyer.com/claims/tonywood.htm to see if you come up with anything suitable - and it shows 317's involvement in the Dieppe operation, despite the squadron history not mentioning it!!

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Hello Steve,

I can confirm that 317 Sqn remained at Northolt during the Dieppe operation. Some Squadron's were forward deployed, but 317 wasn't one of them.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve49 View Post
    Hello Steve,

I can confirm that 317 Sqn remained at Northolt during the Dieppe operation. Some Squadron's were forward deployed, but 317 wasn't one of them.

Regards,

Steve
    Steve,

I have a photograph of BM566 a Mk.Vb of 317 Squadron taken on August 29th 1942 at Manston. Unless it was there being repaired after being damaged during Dieppe raid.

Cheers

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

For BM566 Air Britain records "DBR in accident 29.8.42; NFD" does your photo show a wreck/damage? Seems most likely it pitched in there after an op? The records in "Fighter Command War Diaries" are not comprehensive after Dieppe 317Sqn appears only on 20Aug42. Most days at the end of August Circuses and Roadsteads were flown; there was a big Circus on 29Aug42. There is a website somewhere that includes the ORBs for Polish Sqns but I believe it is down at the moment there has been a thread about it somewhere most likely on 12ochi!

I would suggest that you start another thread putting 317Sqn in the title then you might get a response from one our Polish friends.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveBrooking; 12th April 2014 at 09:48. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Burnt out, it had a Short Stirling run over it !

Will take your advice and try the chaps on TOCH

Cheers

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

302 & 308 from Heston and 306 & 317 from Northolt landed Manston at 20.45 following Sweep over French and Belgian coast. They returned to bases the next morning. The Spitfire in question was coded JH-S. Any chance to see the picture?

Thanks

Steve,

According to the ORB BM566 didn't take part in the Dieppe operation.

Aircraft '..340/P' (FO M. Chokwka) did land at Manston on the 19th with damage and a wounded pilot.

Aircraft '...758/V' was also damaged, but appears to have returned to Northolt and BL927 made a belly landing on returning to Northolt.

Regards,

Steve