Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed , 1165242 W/O F Lancaster raf pow

Thanks

Default Help needed , 1165242 W/O F Lancaster raf pow

Hello to everybody im a long time reader but first time poster , Am hoping somebody can give me some more information on W/O F Lancaster service number 1165242 pow number 35430 and camp number 344 , I also know he was an observer/ navigator but can not find any information regarding squadron or when shot down what he was flying in etc , as he is not listed in footprints in the sands of time , i have also gone page by page through fighter command losses without success . would be very greatfull for any help thanks in advance Nick.

Thanks

I can't answer your question but I can suggest a few pointers to consider.

If you have proved he was not in Bomber or Fighter Commands, that opens several other avenues. Coastal: he might have been picked up from the sea and you could go through the first volume of Coastal Command losses. Next, he might have been captured elsewhere and transferred to Germany. Depending on when he was captured - do you know? - he might have been left behind as part of the AASSF in 1940, possibly because he was wounded. Any sign of his file at the NA or a record of his debrief after release? Finally, he might have been on a training sortie, ditched and then picked up.

Lots to search I'm afraid but good luck. The certainty is that with the help on this site, you'll get him in the end!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Good morning Colin and thankyou for your reply , certinaley a few avenues i had not thought of . I will go through costal command losses , but how would i go about finding him in the NA , Would that be online ? And i believe there is a volume on training unit losses i will try to obtain a copy and go through it. thanks again Nick

Thanks

This is where I am on uncertain ground.

I understand that all ex-POWs were debriefed on release and their files are at the NA but I don't know if they can be accessed online.

Chorley produced volumes of OTU and HCU losses but I think these only dealt with 'bomber' related units.

Another avenue but one which will now have to be paid for, is to approach AHB(RAF) with a request under the Defence Publications Scheme for information. There is a process and forms to apply for the information and these can be obtained from the branch, located at RAF Northolt.

The experts who know all about personal numbers will probably tell you how and when he joined the RAF and possibly where he was likely to have trained.

You might get some better advice from others on this forum as the weekend passes.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Guys,
    The POW Liberation Questionnaire which he will have completed upon his release will have his Squadron, date and location of capture, full name and address at the time and the camps her was in.
    This is the quickest way to get started.
    Regards,
    Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Thankyou both for your help, it definately seems the pow report is the way to go . I will be looking in to how this is accesed at the NA , But i have been told nowdays they are trying to run things down and it can be quite hard to research there, in person anyway. thanks again and hopefully someone may post some info on him ,Nick

Thanks

Nick

Not sure where you got this information from but the achieves are very accessible and there are many people who can help you.

Are you local? If not l will pull the report on my next visit for you.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hello

I can confirm Nick's statement, TNA is fine and one of the best archive service I know.

All the PoW questionnaires for the surname Lancaster are in WO 344/178/2 (Lancaster to Lanfear), WO 344/178/1 deals with Lambert to Lancashire.

Joss

Thanks

Hi just some info a ww1 researcher told me but i shouldnt really listen to hearsay , thankyou Joss for the info , And Nick no im quite a way off in the midlands but if you could do that and post the info here i would be very greatfull indeed , i think im going to have to post some other names im strugguling to reasearch here as so far the help has been great . Nick

Thanks

I have his Liberation Questionnaire. Give me your E Mail address (In code) and l will ping it on but please publish the info here.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.con