Thread: 440710 - Unaccounted Airmen - 10-7-1944

Thanks

Default 440710 - Unaccounted Airmen - 10-7-1944

Hello,

440710 - Unaccounted Airmen - 10-7-1944

From Henk's List -

UK
    ARCHER, Ernest - LAC - 1633264 -RAFVR - Alverthorpe (St. Paul), Yorkshire.
    McCANDLESS, David Ernest - LAC - 1505551 - RAFVR - Padgate (Christ Church), Lancashire.

From CWGC & Geoff's sites -

UK
    BELL, Godfrey Vernon John - F/S (Nav/Bomber) - 1423401 - RAFVR - Longside, Aberdeenshire.[Albemarle I - P1593 - ORTU].
    CHANTRELL, Kenneth Walter - Sgt (WoP/Air) - 1867427 - RAFVR - Southend-On-Sea (Sutton Road), Essex.
    FAIRBAIRN, Harvey Oswald - F/O (Pilot) - 143285 - RAFVR - Longside, Aberdeenshire.[Albemarle I - P1593 - ORTU].
    FINCH, Frederick Henry William - Sgt(WoP-A/G) - 1398906 - RAFVR - Woodgrange Park, East Ham, Essex..[Albemarle I - P1593 - ORTU].
    HERON, Stanley - Sgt (WoP-A/G) - 1591676 - RAFVR - Middlesbrough (Acklam), Yorkshire.
    HILLS, John Edward - Sgt (WoP-A/G) - 1810437 - RAFVR - Tonbridge , Kent.
    KALASEK, Jaroslav - Sgt - 787595 - RAFVR - Kiltearn Parish, Ross & Cromarty.
    MILTON, Alfred James - Sgt (A/G) - 1602744 - RAFVR - Longside Cemetery, Aberdeenshire..[Albemarle I - P1593 - ORTU].
    O'REILLY, Hugh - Sgt (Air Bomber) - 1565631 - RAFVR - Longside, cemetery, Aberdeenshire..[Albemarle I - P1593 - ORTU].
    STARNES, Leonard George - Sgt(WoP-A/G) - 1394997 - RAFVR - Longside Cemetery, Aberdeenshire..[Albemarle I - P1593 - ORTU].

Alex

Thanks

I suspect that Sgt Jaroslav Kalasek was onboard Anson NK477 which crashed at Ardoch near Alness. The No.8 AGS ORB only records the name of the pilot and not the other personnel who were killed. It is listed as 5 in the entry from the day of the crash and then pilot + five in the entry for the day the Court of Inquiry was held.

The provisional list for NK477 is:
    Sgt Jaroslav Kalasek
    Sgt Stanley Heron
    Sgt John Edward Hills
    Sgt Kenneth Walter Chantrell
    All their deaths are registered in Scotland, add in the Polish AF pilot and we have five as mentioned in the ORB.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hi Al,
    I can confirm that:
    Sgt Jaroslav Kalasek
    Sgt Stanley Heron
    Sgt John Edward Hills
    Sgt Kenneth Walter Chantrell
    Were all killed on Anson NK477 at Ardoch.

Alan.

Thanks

Albermarle P1593 had a total of 9 fatalities, 2 of which were Army Air Corps glider Regiment:
    BELL, Godfrey Vernon John - F/S
    FAIRBAIRN, Harvey Oswald - F/O
    FINCH, Frederick Henry William - Sgt
    MILTON, Alfred James - Sgt
    O'REILLY, Hugh - Sgt
    STARNES, Leonard George - Sgt
    CHENU, John Corrie- Sgt -RAAF- 418347 - Longside Cemetery, Aberdeenshire
    DOWDS, Henry Mclean- Staff Sgt- Glider Pilot Regmt.AAC- 298678- Grangemouth, Gransable Cemetery
    ANSELL, Herbert James - Sgt- Glider Pilot Regmt.AAC-6897960- Longside, cemetery, Aberdeenshire

Alan.

Thanks

Hi

ARCHER, Ernest - LAC - registered in Ely (RAF Hospital?).
    McCANDLESS, David Ernest - LAC - registered in Warrington.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default looking for information on Albemarle P1593?

hi Alan,
    I was wondering if you had any more information about the below crash? i know it was 10th July 1944, and have this: "At 1707 hrs Albemarle P 1593, on a glider-retrieval flight from Hampstead Norris to Kinloss, when flying low in bad weather was seen to spin in and burst into flames at Newton- of-Bruxie. Pilot Fg Offr Fairbairn) and 9 others killed. " But find it really surprising that i can find nothing about it on the web other than what you posted below! I'm new to this kind of research - I'm looking into men named on a WW2 memorial plaque - H.O.Fairbairn is the man I'm interested in. I assume you must have come across many many crashes like this that have disappeared from memory?
    with thanks for any help you can give me,
    LP

Quote Originally Posted by AL90 View Post
    Albermarle P1593 had a total of 9 fatalities, 2 of which were Army Air Corps glider Regiment:
    BELL, Godfrey Vernon John - F/S
    FAIRBAIRN, Harvey Oswald - F/O
    FINCH, Frederick Henry William - Sgt
    MILTON, Alfred James - Sgt
    O'REILLY, Hugh - Sgt
    STARNES, Leonard George - Sgt
    CHENU, John Corrie- Sgt -RAAF- 418347 - Longside Cemetery, Aberdeenshire
    DOWDS, Henry Mclean- Staff Sgt- Glider Pilot Regmt.AAC- 298678- Grangemouth, Gransable Cemetery
    ANSELL, Herbert James - Sgt- Glider Pilot Regmt.AAC-6897960- Longside, cemetery, Aberdeenshire

Alan.

Thanks

There is no reason why it would be detailed on the web, it is covered in books however, and in the official RAF records in Kew etc.
    Not everything is on the internet!

However, there is an Australian on board, Sgt Chenu so:

Go to the Australian Natianal Archives
    https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...sicSearch.aspx

Search for his name, John Corrie Chenu and you will see four files that you can order for scanning for a small fee. The one to request is the A705 casualty package,

CHENU, John Corrie - (Flight Sergeant); Service Number - 4183347; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Albemark P1593; Place - Aberdeen, Scotland; Date - 10 July 1944
    noting that there is a typo in the service record number in their database.

Their may be a detailed report on the crash in taht file, or their might not be, but you would have to await scanning
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default thank you!

thanks Dennis!
    i've found the records you've referred me to and they're tantalisingly frustratingly out of my budget! i may start by hitting the libraries of Edinburgh and seeing what i can find there first, but i very much appreciate your help! i know not everything's on the web, but these days i'm still surprised when something isn't!
    L

Thanks

Hello

McCANDLESS, David Ernest - LAC - 1505551 - the National Probate Calendar records that he died at The Borough General Hospital, Warrington.

Regards

Simon