Thread: Gp Capt Augustine ap Ellis CBE

Thanks

Default Gp Capt Augustine ap Ellis CBE

Gp Capt Augustine ap Ellis CBE was Station Commander and Commandant of 6 FTS/SFTS at Little Rissington from when the airfield opened in August 1938 until sometime in 1940 when command was handed over to Gp Capt Charles E. Barraclough.

Can anyone provide me a date for when ap Ellis departed or Barraclough arrived?

I understand command changed in 1940 and ap Ellis became the first Commandant of 34 SFTS in Medicine Hat, Canada, in Feb 1941, so I presume command of Little Rissington was handed over relatively late in 1940 in order for him to take up his posting in Canada.

However, ideally, I would like to know the exact date, or at least a month in 1940, when he ceased to be Stn Cdr at Little Rissington, please. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi Steve

I can't help with the change over date but ap Ellis was OC, 6 FTS from 1 April 1935 prior to it's move to Little Rissington, if that's of any help.

Malcolm

Thanks

Don't know when the Directorate of Allied Air Co-operation and Foreign Liaison was invented, but would Ellis not appear in that Directorate on posting to Canada? The AFLs may have a clue? Just a thought!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter

He is not listed in 1940 or 1941 and I believe it only lists those serving at the Air Ministry, those on overseas posting would be listed in the unit to which they were posted or on the SDL but by then the CAFLs were only listing Command and Group personnel.

Malcolm

Thanks

From data base, awards between the wars:

ELLIS, Augustine ap, W/C - Commander, Order of the British Empire - awarded as per London Gazette dated 3 June 1925 in King's Birthday Honours List; reported in Aeroplane of 17 June 1925. Invested with award, 4 February 1926. S/L A. ap Ellis posted to command No.208 Squadron, Middle East, 17 February 1922, and was part of Constantinople Wing, 30 September 1922 to 23 September 1923 (Bristol Fighters, San Stefano). Promoted to Wing Commander, 30 June 1923. To Headquarters, Iraq Command, for Personnel Staff duties, 9 January 1924. To Headquarters, Air Defence of Great Britain, 1 January 1926 for Personnel Staff duties. As of 1 September 1932 Group Captain A. ap Ellis, CBE had been posted to command No.4 Flying Training School, Abu Sueir, Egypt, which appointment he held until succeeded 9 February 1935 by G/C K.C. Buss. To No.6 Flying Training School, Netheravon, 1 April 1935, to command. Later awarded Belgian Military Cross, First Class for services at No.34 Service Flying Training School, Medicine Hat, Alberta (24 September 1943). Public Record Office Air 30/62, provided courtesy of Ann Sadler, has citation:

For distinguished service on Personnel Staff duties, Iraq Command.

This officer whose work has been invaluable, is tactful and intelligent and has shown untiring zeal. His services in the work of reorganisation have resulted in a real increase in efficiency combined with economy.

From notes compiled re No.34 SFTS, Medicine Hat:

Unit formed at Wilmslow, 26 February 1941 under command of G/C A. Ap Ellis. Sailed 27 February 1941 on SS Batory, docking Halifax, 9 March 1941. First echelon arrived Medicine Hat 14 March 1941. Flying began 24 March 1941.

School deactivated 3 November 1944; disbanded 17 November 1944. At the time of disbandment it was estimated that school aircraft had flown 354,782 hours 50 minutes. The diary entry for 17 November 1944 stated that No.34 SFTS had processed 39 courses. Total intake was 2,593 pupils of whom 2,188 graduated. The “ceased training” figure was 226 while 169 described as “transferred”. By air forces and nationalities, the graduates were as follows: RAF (1,591); RAAF (two); RCAF (124); RNZAF (24); Argentinian (one); Belgian (74); Singalese (four); Czech (94); Dane (three); Dutch (48); French (44); Lithuanian (one); Norwegian (146) and Pole (31). It was estimated that graduates had been awarded at least 61 decorations including 27 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 16 Distinguished Flying Medals and one Distinguished Service Order.

At the time of disbandment, an RAF Ensign was laid up in St. Barnabas Church, along with a Memorial Panel commemorating those killed.

W/C D.A Gibson commanded, 10 March 1941 pending arrival of G/C Ellis.who was hospitalized in Regina and did not assume command until 15 May 1941. Ellis commanded until disbandment. It may be noted that during extended absences owing to illness of G/C ap Ellis, the school was commanded by W/C H.A.C. Stratton.

Thanks

And also a Czech Medal of Merit (1st Class) conferred by the President of the Czechoslovak Republic (Gazetted wef 18 Nov 47). I was going to suggest that Pavel Vlacek may be able to throw some light on the WHY, leading to the WHERE, and then to the WHEN! But Hugh has already come up with the goods!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks for all your input gentlemen. I appreciate your time and efforts. At the moment, it looks as though I'm not going to get any closer then the commencement of his appointment to command 34 SFTS in February 1941. I will have to consult the 6 SFTS ORB next time I'm in London.
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm