Thread: Finding citation for DFC

Thanks

Default Finding citation for DFC

I know this must be a frequently asked question but I've got stuck in trying to find the citation for my father's DFC. He was George Highton (160645). He flew with 192 Squadron from September 1943 to April 1944 and then trained as a flying instructor, seemed to train pilots for a short time before being assigned to HQ Bomber Command in November 1944. His DFC is listed in the London Gazette on 15th September 1944 but that's as far as I can get. I realise I may have to go to the National Archives at Kew but any other advice or help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

David Highton

Thanks

Although the London Gazette often failed to publish a citation to an award, citations were sometimes published in Air Ministry Bulletins. The RAF Museum has microfilms of these (I do not know if there are similar microfilms at Kew). I obtained copies some years ago, transcribed what was readable, and do not now find George Highton among my transcriptions. In this (and many other cases) one must search for the original recommendation.

Ten years ago there was a portion of RAF Records that could (and did) provide specific file references for awards. I do not know if such an office still exists (probably abolished as a cost-cutting measure or declared redundant for being too helpful). So one must find other means. My method is NOT infallible and may be deemed to be the equivalent of a steam-powered mousetrap - but here it is.

In this specific case here I confirmed , consulting the London Gazette on-line (issue of 15 September 1944), that George Higson was indeed awarded the DFC for services in No.192 Squadron. My next step was to look at DFM lists in the same issue. I would have preferred to find one involving a No.192 Squadron member, but there being none, I tried a few other names, starting with Flight Sergeant Thomas Aitken (No.619 Squadron), Flight Sergeant Norman Francis Bacon (No.50 Squadron) and Flight Sergeant John Cuthbert Barber (No.166 Squadron). All these units were in Bomber Command (as was No.192).

What becomes the guide hereafter is Ian Tavender's "The Distinguished Flying Medal Register for the Second World War." He located recommendations for these three DFM recipients at Kew in AIR 2/9276. Such files had all manner of operational recommendations - DSO, DFC, DFM. My ten-year old recollection is that AIR 2/9276 is a very large file (it may even be in two volumes) but it is the best suggestion that I can offer, failing the resurrection of the RAF Records office or officer that/who proved so invaluable a decade ago.

Thanks

Thanks Hugh and this is a very helpful lead. I've emailed the MOD just in case there is someone there who can help but it looks like a visit to Kew is my next step.

Thanks again

Thanks

In case it helps anyone else with a similar search, I emailed DBS_Medals@mod.uk to ask for an Air Ministry File number to help me look for the citation for my father's DFC and got an answer back very quickly. I got a file reference and the lady there was very helpful. I know I still have to see if it does lead me to his citation but I thought I'd say how quick and helpful the service Medals office was.

Thanks

Hi David,

my father, Harry Crow, also flew with the 192 and won the DFC. Did you get anywhere with finding his citation?

Peter