Thread: Pilot Officer Douglas James Bradshaw Pilot Officer, 142 Sqdn.

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Douglas James Bradshaw Pilot Officer, 142 Sqdn.

I am researching a memorial tablet of those ex pupils of Reedham Orphanage, Purley, Surrey who gave their lives in WWII

Amongst those names is D J Bradshaw who died 8 Nov 1942 and is buried in Boismoreau Communal Cemetery, Vannes.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction to get further details of the operation that he was on at the time of his death

Terry Lawson
    (Reedham 1956-1966)

Thanks

Hello Terry

if you visit his entry on the CWGC website, then follow the link to the cemtery and look at their records, you wioll see that there are five airmen buried there for that date, and in a sadf lucky kind of way two are Australians

EVISON, RONALD GRANVILLE Sergeant 1214198 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve Div. B. Row 1. Joint grave 12-13.
    BRADSHAW, DOUGLAS JAMES Pilot Officer 119905 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve Div. B. Row 1. Grave 14.
    SAUTELLE, CLAUDE BESNARD Flight Sergeant 411390 Royal Australian Air Force Div. B. Row 1. Grave 11.
    HILL, CYRIL SYDNEY HERBERT Sergeant 1319144 Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve Div. B. Row 1. Joint grave 12-13.
    PEARCE, KENNETH GARD Flight Sergeant 416228 Royal Australian Air Force Div. B. Row 1. Grave 10.

With there being two Australians on board you can find from which aircraft they were lost by searching here on the Australian national archives website:
    http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Searc...sicSearch.aspx

search for both of the Australians serial numbers:

And you will find from there:

They were flying on Wellington BJ768

Now, neither of the A705 casualty files are scanned but for a small fee you can request them to be scanned and they will place them up on the website.

And if you google search for Wellington BJ768 you will find lots of hits.

http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...emorial-France
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis

Many thanks for the leads, I'm very much a novice at this research.
    I'm very grateful that the experienced researchers on this forum are so helpful

Thanks

Terry
    Can you pm your email address to me please, i have the 142sqdn Operations Record Book, and the BC Night Raid Reports.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan

I would if I could.
    I may be 66 yrs old but I don't know how to make this reply personal, perhaps the age is the problem!!

Terry

Thanks

No worries Terry, i've just found your email address in your profile. Will be in touch later this evening.
    Alan.

Thanks

Terry,
    I will be sending you some files later this evening, but can tell you now, that D.J. Bradshaw was on his 2nd op with 142sqdn, after being posted in from 20 OTU on 17th October 42. His first op was also a Gardening trip, and he was crewed with the airmen listed by Dennis, on both occasions.
    Alan.