Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito engine runs

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Mosquito engine runs

Thought the following would be of interest. Scroll to bottom of the page to see the scene at Victoria Airport yesterday. All being well, first flight of the former Spartan Air Services Mosquito B.35 CF-HML (VR796) will take place in the next two weeks with Steve Hinton at the controls.

http://www.vicair.net/mosquito.html

Robert

shinz Guest

Nice link Robert, thanks. I've been fortunate enough to have sat in the cockpit of an original Mosquito Mk VI here in New Zealand, witnessed the first public showing of Jerry Yagens Mk VI in Auckland in Sept 2012 & think that the flight of another is great news. I'll be looking out for reports of same. As I understand it, this is a restoration of an original airframe rather than a recreation as has been done in New Zealand. I'd love to know more about the state of the airframe before they started & what has had to be done to ensure its integrity.
    Those pictures from the Spartan days at the end of your link are superb.
    Steve.

Thanks

Steve,

The aircraft has remained under cover since it was dismantled at Ottawa Airport the late 1960s. Restoration locations have included Kapuskasing, Ontario, and Matsqui, Vancouver Airport and current location Victoria Airport, all in British Columbia. It last flew in 1963.

Substantial work was done on the upper surface of the wing plus the fin and tailplane and of course all the components had to be overhauled or built from scratch. Openings in the fuselage had to be filled in. The engines with their automatic boost and fuel injection systems were overhauled by Vintage V12 in the US. Was told that these 1650hp Merlins that can take the Mosquito to 35,000ft or more have but two controls connected to them: the throttle and the idle cutoff. Amazing.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 9th May 2014 at 22:31.

Thanks

Default Update

The first flight didn't quite happen this week although extensive, glorious-sounding run-ups and taxi trials were performed.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 11th May 2014 at 00:14.

Thanks

The local TV news station from Victoria BC asked me if I could give them "heads-up" updates on when things will happen with this aircraft!
    They must be desperate as I have never even been to the airport at Victoria BC where this is all happening.
    The newsman said there's a ton of interest in this story; however, for unknown reasons the people involved are not forthcoming with information.
    I suppose the people involved have what they believe to be valid reasons for not wanting publicity...

On another note, some WW2 buffs think (in hindsight) that heavy bombers were unnecessary and the whole task could have been accomplished, at far less cost and sacrifice, with Mosquitos.

Thanks

That's great news another wooden wonder is about to take to the air. The one and only time I've seen one fly was at the Flying Legends Show at Duxford in 1996. Robert, any idea as to why they decided to go with a gaudy gloss paint? It is like painting a Shelby Cobra in mat paint. Yeesh. If it were repainted in it's Spartan Air colours, that would have been icing on the cake and probably brought a tear or two to former employees.

Glad though there will be one flying in Canada.

Thanks

Some of us were hoping for Spartan colours but it was not to be. Former Spartan Mosquito CF-HMS/RS700 is being restored to ground-runnable condition at Nanton, Alberta, in Spartan colours and is intended to become the centrepiece of an exhibit celebrating Canada's aerial survey industry. Check out the Calgary Mosquito Society web site.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 14th May 2014 at 02:23.

Thanks

The Mosquito made its first post-restoration flight June 16. An undercarriage problem cut the flight short but all ended well and she looked and sounded magnificent!

Here's a clip - excuse the advert!

http://www.cheknews.ca/de-havilland-...o-takes-flight

Am told she should fly again today (June 17)

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 17th June 2014 at 13:46.

Thanks

Many thanks for the update......and then there was two!

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

And today she flew flawlessly for 40 mins with a nice low-and-over at the end. Photos on the Victoria Air Maintenance Facebook page.

Robert