Thread: Mosquitoes over Friedrichshafen on 17 April 1944

Thanks

Default Mosquitoes over Friedrichshafen on 17 April 1944

On 17 April 1944 two giant French flying boats confiscated by the Germans, the Laté 631 and the SNCASE SE.200, were destroyed on the Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, Germany, in an attack by RAF Mosquito planes.

There is nothing about this in the Fighter Command War Diaries, and I have been unable to find the involved RAF unit, or even confirm it was actually a Mosquito attack.

Can anyone confirm that Mosquitoes attacked these planes, and which ones ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

These were Mosquitos of Coastal Command. I think there is a description in Chris Goss's Biscay book, or possibly in the history of 618 Sq. The likeliest unit is 248 Sq.

Thanks

I had not thought that Coastal Command would fly so far into Germany.

One of my French sources says that Jacques Lecarme, a test pilot of the SNCASE, sent through a Resistance network a message telling these two flying boats went to Germany. So rather than a normal Ranger where Mosquitoes will attack any valuable target, it is possible that Coastal Command sent Mosquitoes specificaly to destroy there aircraft.

Thanks

Hello,

"On the night of April 27, 1944, although a last-minute change of Zero-hour raised some questions, the raid (on Friedrichshafen) was to be a success. The combination of accurate initial marking with an efficient 'Master of Ceremonies' set the town ablaze within 15 minutes. A total of 1,234 tons of bombs devastated 67 per cent of the built-up area, killing 136 civilians. More importantly, three Dornier factories, the Maybach tank engine plant, the Zeppelin hangar and the 'Zahnradfabrik', supplying tank gearboxes, were heavily damaged, whilst a large French Latecoere 631 seaplane, the 'Marechal Petain', was sunk at the Seemoos seaplane station, together with its sister boat, an SE.200, which had also been impressed by the Luftwaffe."

See:
    No Shots Please, We're British.
    Anthoine,Roger
    Aeroplane Monthly. April, 1993 Vol.21. No.4 (Issue No.240). pp.46-8

The article itself, focuses on the loss of No.101 Sqn Lancaster I LL750:SR-P (BCL5/197).

l believe the incident is also covered by Anthoine in a later book, 'Infringing Neutrality:The RAF in Switzerland 1940-45,.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th April 2014 at 23:29.

Thanks

Thanks Col,

A loss of both aircraft as part of the Friedrichshafen raid on 27 April (and not the 17th) seems more logical for me than a Coastal Command operation launched specially to destroy them, but all sources I had so far all said they were lost on 17 April... Possibly all repeating the same typo by using the same source.