Thread: One for the 2 TAF gen men

Thanks

Default One for the 2 TAF gen men

Hi all,

Can any 2 TAF gen persons please help with a bit of info on 88 Sqn Boston IIIA BZ323 'A' which force-landed near Ohsten's Farm, Pulham St Mary, Norfolk on 18 May 1944?
    A friend at a Norfolk museum has a photo of the aircraft taken by a USAAF serviceman and marked 'GAD-36-1-100 18-5-44'. I have a disk with quite a lot of 88 Sqn ops on it but it finishes in Dec 1943! I note from the AB BA-BZ monograph the cause was the propellers being accidentally feathered in flight. Would anybody happen to have a crew-list on this one?

TIA for any details,

BC

Thanks

Hi

I have the relevant ORB but strangely there are no entries after 5th May until 22nd May so not much use.
    Pages appear to be correctly numbered with nothing missing.

regards Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 21st April 2014 at 05:03.

Thanks

Hello,

The following from Michael Bowyer's, 2 Group R.A.F. (pp.365-6):

After taking part in Exercise 'Fabian', 88 Squadron withdrew to Swanton Morley on 6 May (1944), for army support training and to practice smoke laying. The culmination of this training came on 28 May when an Army demonstration was given on Salisbury Plain during which the Army fired smoke marker shells and many 2 Group aircraft flew overhead to observe this style of indication to be used when the Army wanted very close support and marked targets a few yards ahead of its front line in France,

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Peter and Col. At least I am a bit more genned up on what 88 Sqn were actually doing at the time now. RAF Boston crashes were quite rare in this area at the time. Unfortunately there are no detailed WW 2 Police records for Norfolk, and the CD files do not normally record aircraft crashes unless services/property/civilians were affected in some way.
    BC